Question for the tank guru's

theoholder

jelly Clown
Reaction score
Hi, can you please tell me if I can Cut the glass at the back of the tank for overflow, or will this weaken the tank? Tank dimensions : 1200x450x550. The two holes at the back on the pic is what I want to do, silicone two boxes on the glass that will flow into the sump.

912488447883bf7e.png

it won't weaken the tank, but watch out for a crack when cutting, do it slowly and use water

I was thinking in using a normal glass cutter, the one with the wheel, or will this result in disaster?

If those cut outs are going to have 90 degree corners then it will weaken the back. The corners need to be rounded.

I had a second hand tank cut similar to that burst from the 90 degree corners to the bottom corners of the tank. 200 litres of water in 80m2 house not funny at 4am in the morning.

thank you for the advice, is there maybe someone that's got a glass holesaw to borrow in the jhb area, or where can one buy one off these?

Last edited:
Other wise you could build or buy an overflo box, i have one running on one of my tanks and it has never failed to restart after a power outage.

Back
Top Bottom