Question for the pro's

Reaction score
Don't even need T5. You can use normal fluerencent lights. Or cheap leds. It's just to view the fish

Reaction score
Don't even need T5. You can use normal fluerencent lights. Or cheap leds. It's just to view the fish
Thank you I'll do some research on this. Didn't think it was possible without causing nucience algae

Reaction score
Not really... I know guys that's using normal spotlights from China Town to provide light. Just manage the algae with fish etc to eat the algae if any occur. No point in spending thousands of rands on lights and you not going to benefit from them

Reaction score
Thank you all :bigthumbup: now that I know its possible time to start planing and researching equipment

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would still get descent lights, if the fish are going to be your 'showpieces' instead of bright corals even the fish colours will look so much brighter under descent lights instead of just the yellow colour from normal fluorescent bulb.
Don't need to spend a fortune, even home made LEDs with some blue, pinks, etc will help to make the fish colours look much better

Reaction score
I would still get descent lights, if the fish are going to be your 'showpieces' instead of bright corals even the fish colours will look so much brighter under descent lights instead of just the yellow colour from normal fluorescent bulb.
Don't need to spend a fortune, even home made LEDs with some blue, pinks, etc will help to make the fish colours look much better
That's a very good point. I also understand where Dexter is going with not spending thousands on lights if you're not going to use them fully. So maybe a hybrid light with some blue and pink leds and then daylight fluorescents might work

Reaction score
That's a very good point. I also understand where Dexter is going with not spending thousands on lights if you're not going to use them fully. So maybe a hybrid light with some blue and pink leds and then daylight fluorescents might work
Are your lights going to be visible or will they be behind a cabinet?

Reaction score
Good morning all,

Does anyone know if its possible to run a FOWLR tank with minimal to no water changes or can this only be done with a full on reef?

Will have a refuigium and skimmer for nutrient export

Thank you.
Why a FOWLR tank? Fish Only With Live Rock! Why using real "live rock" in a fish only tank. A display with only fish ! There is a big difference between real" live rock"and so called "live rock" or base rock. Regarding filtration capacity there is little or no difference.
Such a display cannot fall back on the beauty of corals and or other lower animals. It is about showing non-reef-safe fish, large numbers and / or large specimens, predator fish etc .. an aquarium system with a high input of nutrients. Closed seawater aquariums with only fish are, under normal circumstances, systems with a high input and a high removal rate. Managing such systems should be based on manageable carrying capacity.
How this may be done by just adding some rock? Alive or not ! The nitrogen content and ammonia reduction rate will certainly not be manageable.

Normally, fish only tanks are managed using bio-filters which makes it possible to manage the nitrogen content and nitrogen removal rate at all times.

To assimilate 0,25 ppm nitrogen daily , in a 1000 l aquarium, +- 250 grams of algae must be harvested daily. Any idea how much nitrogen will be produced daily? Algae grow slowly, how the carrying capacity, based on the ammonia reduction rate, will be supported? A big refugium?

A so-called "FOWLR tank" will have a very low max carrying capacity and the bio-load will be limited, not really what I want for a fish only tank. May be suitable for one big fish but what if this fish grows bigger? And please, do not use real "live rock"!

About live rock and FOWLR : http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/rock.html

Reaction score
Why a FOWLR tank? Fish Only With Live Rock! Why using real "live rock" in a fish only tank. A display with only fish ! There is a big difference between real" live rock"and so called "live rock" or base rock. Regarding filtration capacity there is little or no difference.
Such a display cannot fall back on the beauty of corals and or other lower animals. It is about showing non-reef-safe fish, large numbers and / or large specimens, predator fish etc .. an aquarium system with a high input of nutrients. Closed seawater aquariums with only fish are, under normal circumstances, systems with a high input and a high removal rate. Managing such systems should be based on manageable carrying capacity.
How this may be done by just adding some rock? Alive or not ! The nitrogen content and ammonia reduction rate will certainly not be manageable.

Normally, fish only tanks are managed using bio-filters which makes it possible to manage the nitrogen content and nitrogen removal rate at all times.

To assimilate 0,25 ppm nitrogen daily , in a 1000 l aquarium, +- 250 grams of algae must be harvested daily. Any idea how much nitrogen will be produced daily? Algae grow slowly, how the carrying capacity, based on the ammonia reduction rate, will be supported? A big refugium?

A so-called "FOWLR tank" will have a very low max carrying capacity and the bio-load will be limited, not really what I want for a fish only tank. May be suitable for one big fish but what if this fish grows bigger? And please, do not use real "live rock"!

About live rock and FOWLR : http://chucksaddiction.thefishestate.net/rock.html
Very scientific explanation tank you. Had to give up on the idea for now but I'm sure this will help others

Top Bottom