Question for the pro's

Reaction score
Good morning all,

Does anyone know if its possible to run a FOWLR tank with minimal to no water changes or can this only be done with a full on reef?

Will have a refuigium and skimmer for nutrient export

Thank you.

Reaction score
I can't see why it wouldn't work. Why are you asking? Fish can actually tolerate. Much higher parameters than corals
Thank you. Am gathering information to potentially plan a saltwater tank that uses less water change water then my current fresh water tanks which is around 500 liters a month. The idea of less to no water changes sounds very appealing, means I can plan a bigger system :slayer::slayer:

Reaction score
Problem is not the water. Its the electricity that becomes a issue. With Eskom that keeps raising prices its becoming a real pain

Reaction score
Problem is not the water. Its the electricity that becomes a issue. With Eskom that keeps raising prices its becoming a real pain
That's so very true. I Didn't think of that, lighting might be an issue saltwater lights eat electricity from what I've seen.

Reaction score
Have a solid nutrient export method and you should be good. Water changes are one of many methods to skin a cat.
Thank you. Will try build a nice big refuigium seems like the best nutrient export method

Reaction score
That's so very true. I Didn't think of that, lighting might be an issue saltwater lights eat electricity from what I've seen.
That’s not your main issue... it’s the heaters. You’ll need 2x 300watt Eheim heaters to keep that water warm in the winter

Reaction score
And I’m saying Eheim because they work. Of you go with cheam Chinese heaters. You’ll need about 4 x300watt heaters.

Reaction score
I’ve done a 650 Tank once with only a Protein skimmer and refugium. Waterchanges every 6 months. But only fish and some softies

Reaction score
I’ve done a 650 Tank once with only a Protein skimmer and refugium. Waterchanges every 6 months. But only fish and some softies
This is better then what I was after. Thank you. How big of a water chage though? Probably very large?

Reaction score
On a fish only tank you don't need fancy expensive lights. Just something to view the fish would be enough

Reaction score
Last edited:
Top Bottom