Question about sarcophyton leather

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Manic, 12 Jul 2009.

1. Manic

Manic Moderator

I got this leather coral about two weeks ago and just want to check something. Its polyps are just like brown little sticks that come out. It doesn't have other white polyps with tentacles like some pictures I've seen. Is this normal?

Here are the pics of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what type of polyps I'm thinking of:

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kavir

Kavir

I got the same 1 as u the name some How slipped my tongue, but Lanzo will know it he saw mine, if im not mistaken umbrella or somethin stool comes to mind. The 1 wit the longer tentacle and whit tip is a pin couchin which i also have. I'l try and post a pic 2moro mornin.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Manic - it's a pin-cushion leather, mate, that you got. Not a sarcophyton...... ;)

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

It could be a Lobophytum or Sarcophyton

6. IMarine

IMarine

I found that leathers like stable kh and ph and most of the time when they close its because kh or ph dropped so keep stable and they bloom with growth

7. Tony

Tony

The guys looks pretty healthy to me. Give him time to grow

8. Manic

Manic Thread Starter Moderator

Think they generally call it a toadstool leather which is a type of a sarcophyton. Well I hope it is a sarcophyton as the main reason I got it is to make my xenia grow faster...

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Manic- just a quick question. Why would you think that the leather coral will make your xenia grow faster?

Both xenia as well as leather corals grow much faster under higher nutrient levels.

I too struggled to get any of my soft corals to grow. When I got my big-momma skimmer (BM-260), I then started to overfeed a little bit - my fish were extremely happy, but so was my corals....

My nitrate levels, are now averaging around 15 to 20, from between 0 and 5ppm previously.... and now, my soft-corals (including my leathers and xenia) are growing a HUGE amount.

Unfortunately, in my tank - aptaisia also started to grow like wild-fire :(
    So - it is/was a trade-off for me....

10. Manic

Google it. I promise most coral propagators believe that the toxins released by sarcophyton make xenia grow up to 4 times faster. My xenia hadn't grown at all and since adding the leather they have tripled in size in just two weeks. Maybe it is a myth but it seems to be working for me...

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I'd go with myth :p

Most articles I have read state that its best not to keep Xenia's with Kenya trees or Sinularias as the toxins they let off kill the xenia. I have all three in my tank and my Xenia's have grown nicely... go figure :)

12. Manic

No it applies specifically to pulsing xenias and sarcophyton leathers. The one guy at Idol Marine said it is true as well as that coral propogation book by anthony calfo which also says to grow xenia more quickly you can add a sarcophyton leather to the same tank...

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Interesting, and it seems to be true - a quote from the Coral Propagation book...

14. Manic

I conducted a little test. My display tank has a nitrate level of 5. The xenia in there hadn't grown in 3 weeks. When I moved it over to my frag tank it has gone from 2 stalks to 6 in just a week, it was placed right next to a sarcophyton. The frag tank has no nitrates. All other parameters are the same.

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Well there we go, thanks for the info.:)

Has your sarco started extending the small polpys at the end of the stalks yet? I have read that a thorough saturation of small air bubbles in the tank (from a powerhead sucking air) somehow cleans them up and encourages them to open up properly.

16. Manic

No it hasn't. Are you sure it does though as I have seen lots of leathers without the polyps. I've got a lobophytum next to the sarcophyton and its polyps are all out. It would be cool if it does have other polyps.

So are you saying that I should have a pump blowing water and air bubbles onto my leather...

17. Manic

Got some good news to report. I switched salts from Tropic marin to aqua medic. Did my first water change with the aqua medic salt yesterday and today my sarcophyton looks awesome. It's finally got the little polyps that stick out now and the polyps on my all my sps are looking nice and fully extended...

18. brentnorm

brentnorm

Can we see a before and after photo ?

19. Tony

Tony

I have to agree with the xenia next to the sarcophyton theory. I have some stray xenia on the far side of my tank which don't grow much, however, the ones next to my sarco are growing like mad. I cut them back a few ago and the little stubs that remain are all back with a vengeance

20. Boendoe

Boendoe

Dude I have a similar one and the get Huge!!! Very nice coral

21. Tony

Tony

Mine is getting too big and shading corals but my wife loves that thing to death and I can't even think of fragging or selling it.

Recent Posts