Quarintine

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Jacojs, 17 May 2016.

1. Jacojs

Jacojs

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the long post.

Not sure if this is the right place but I am a beginner so......

I recently added 2clownfish to my tank, the exact number of days escape me now but about 2 or 3 days later the one clown had white spots in and around its mouth and kept his mouth open, the next morning he was stuck against my wavemaker, I thought he was dead but when I tried to net him he swam off, I caught him anyway and put him in a small container with tank water, 10 seconds later he was dead.

The other clown started to eat and he was eating like a piggie :) I was so happy. Him and my Midas blenny were trying to see who could eat the most.

A week short of having him for a month he started acting weird, it looked like he was covered in white powder, no spots just had a white film so to speak covering his body. I decided that I love my blenny too much and bought a qt. When I got home his tailfin started to look bad, like eaten only a little bit.

I set up the qt with 50 litres of tank water, transfered him and dosed with some copper medication, I cant remember the name now. I dosed less than 5ml but more than 2.5ml, (I think a syringe will work better here than the cap)

He died the same night and his tailfin was almost gone by then.

Everyone says clowns are hardy fish??

What could it have been?

My main question now though is since I have a qt with copper meds in the water already, how do I acclimate new fish to be put in the qt? As normal but with qt water or main tank water?

Also if I want to quarintine corals now I need ANOTHER qt right? or do I just rinse the tank properly and use a different heater and filter?

Last edited: 17 May 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Newbiejb

Newbiejb

I went through same thing when i started lost 6 clowns regal powder blue and more. Qt all new fish. Remove all fish from tank leave it fishless for 12 weeks. Set up your qt make sure your water is cycled in qt tank. I would say remove water in qt tank clean it with brown vinagar. Use new saltwater not tank water buy spesial blend and start cycling the tank. When cycled only then add fish in qt. Observe them for 2 weeks to make sure they eat and is not stressed you can use stress gaurd the first 2 days in qt. After 2 weeks if no problems is observed dose tank with paragard for 2 weeks stop treatment and observe for 2 more weeks after that if all is good take them to main tank with drip acclimatisation. If you have a outbreak of white spots in qt buy a copper test kit and cupramien and dose according to instructions on bottle. Dont dose copper without a test kit.

Buy a separate small tank for corrals qt for 2 weeks. Also let that tank cycle.

Last edited: 17 May 2016
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

any pictures of the late clowns?

5. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Not of the one with the mouth problem but here the one that lasted the longest.

20160510_174111.jpg

6. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Thanks @Newbiejb My blenny is still fine though thank goodness! I must have been lucky.

7. Newbiejb

Newbiejb

Yes it doesn't mater you need to remove all fish from tank. Otherwise you will forever have a white spot problem forever

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
  8. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

I dont think it was white spot.

9. Newbiejb

Newbiejb

It sound like flukes i had the same on my clowns almost wiped out my hole tank.

10. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

11. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Hi, instead of creating a new thread I'm just going to continue with this one.

Excuse all the questions and thanks for any help in advance.

I got 2 new baby black ocellaris clowns on Thursday, they have some orange in them but was told it will go away? Is this true?

They are in the quarintine tank and I did a 50% waterchange (from display tank) before I acclimated them and put them in. I soaked some pellets and brine shrimp flakes in Garlic Guard and tried it that night, they showed very little interest and didnt even take flakes.

Yesterday I tried some formula 2 flakes which were also not very successful. Today I tried Frozen Brine shrimp with Spirulina and Garlic which they both ate of, not a lot but at least they took some.

I read that Brine shrimp is not very nutritious so now what? Will they not survive on this in quarintine? I also havent added any copper medication although there probably is still very little left from the first time I dosed if any at all? Do I really HAVE to add copper to the quarintine tank?

Lastly, My ammonia tested 0 and my Nitrite tested 0.5, I added some stability and Prime, will it be okay if I keep adding it daily?

What should the lighting cycle be on the QT?

Last edited: 4 Jun 2016
    imraan likes this.
  12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That's a good one to feed, it's just the plain brine shrimp that aren't enriched that are considered to be not very nutritious. Try feeding some frozen mysis shrimp as well.

13. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

14. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Hi guys and girls.

I guess this is my most important question at this moment, what are your experience regarding quarintine seeing as a biological filter cannot exist in copper treated water?

15. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

It all depends on what you are using it for: 1 is to place your newly bought fish or corals to see if there is any hidden surprises, then you can run a conventional filtering setup. 2 is to use it to treat a sick fish or coral then biological filter won't be used as it has a tendency to remove your medication.

16. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

@EFJ its for my new clowns, however I had a sick clown in the tank before that did not make it and the water was copper treated for one day before he passed on. I did do a 50% waterchange before introducing the new ones to the tank and now I am getting ammonia and nitrite readings. Will there still be much copper present? Can I manage the ammonia and nitrite by adding prime daily?

17. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Prime daily should be no problem. There will still be copper present but it should be ok with your fish as it has been diluted due to your water change. I usually emptied my quarantine tank and washed it out with vinegar and warm water. Then I would make up freshly mixed water and leave it running till I get a new member for my tank or if one is sick I have a tank ready for action.

18. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Another option to remove the copper (if you want) is to use cuprisorb from seachem.

19. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes, they do eventually go all blacl.

Copper kills all bacteria, be it good or bad.

21. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Recent Posts