Quarintine Quarintine Quarintine

Got mine up and stable ish now. Need to modify my diy protein skimmer a bit more, but the algae seems happy enough.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458385566.833525.jpg

Only worry is no sump and using an internal canister filter atm. But parameters are stable.

I would cover those holes with plastic net. Fish jump.

Ok Guys, so I need some help here. My DT got infected with ich, Tried to medicate in tank with metroplex, heal all etc. but still there. Anycase my foxface is the 1 that showed it the most but yet fish that did not show any signs of ich died. Out of about 22 fish I am down to 13. At the moment my foxface looks like its getting better, All current fish eat well. What I have done now is build 2 tanks, 1 620*440*500 and 1 540*420*370. These are going to be my QT gong forward. Equipment I have from Good all Waterboy is HOB Filter, AC/DC air pump with filter airstone and a heater. WIll get some PVC pipe over the weekend.

Now do I remove all fish from DT and put them QT and let my DT sit for 8 weeks so that all ICH can die off. I don't want to get new fish, then qt them for 6 weeks only to find ich is back once they in my DT. If I do QT all current stock should I medicate them as they are looking slightly better or will this stress them out even more.

Have to remove ALL fish from the display.

Problem is that if you just move them over to the new holding tanks, you will infect those tanks as well. Not breaking the whitepot cycle.

Only 100% sure way to break the cycle and to be sure that the whitespot does not enter your holding systems either is to do the bucket transfer method before moving them over to the holding system.

more info
http://marineaquariumsa.com/threads/bucket-method-quarantine.28552/
http://marineaquariumsa.com/threads/bucket-quarantine-another-round.62906/

I do not run the buckets at a different salinity. Neither do I add any whitespot specific medicine.

Ok, so I read through it and understood it. However I need to do this with 13 fish. So if for instance I put copper in my holding tanks and keep them there for 6 weeks, you are saying that could still have it. Bucket method could work but it is a process and I am sure that my fish will not survive that. How long does this bucket transfer last anycase. Do I change buckets every 2 days for a week or longer?

10944d5110a7027e1.jpg

Minimum period whitespot is on the fish are 3 days, maximum 7 days.
minimum period as a cyst is 3 days.

So you need to move them from one bucket to the next before the minimum time of a cyst. So every second day.
Maximum time on the fish is 7 days. So by the 8th day, they should be clean. So 4 times being moved from one bucket to the next. Then to holding tank. Can do one last cycle just to be sure, so that is 10 days (and what I'm doing)

I've done sick fish before. And they all survived.

Something else to consider. As whitespot tend to all fall off the fish together, somehow chatting to each other maybe chemically. They seems to hatch, grow, fall off together. Almost like silkworms for a lack of better description.

That means that you got a maximum of 3 days since your fish "looks" healthy, before the next cycle breaks out. You need to get your fish out of that tank before that 3 days are up. As each cyst can release between 200 to 1000 little parasites, the next round will be worst. Unless you are happy and or lucky and your fish already managed to build up some resistance.

From a lot of other guys before you, my feeling is that the whitespot we normally get in South Africa got a live cycle of about 11 days as cysts. Plenty of time guys said, no worries, fish are all healthy again with no trace of whitespot on them. Whatever doepa he bought at the LFS worked. I can ask them 14 days later and he will reply, if he reply, that sadly he lost a lot of fish on another breakout. Whitespot maturing from 25micron size to 250micron over 3 to 7 days. That adds another 3 days to the 11 as cyst. And you end up with dead fish from around day 14 after previous round.

Back
Top Bottom