Quarantine tank

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Nadzo, 22 Jul 2013.

1. Nadzo

Nadzo

After much reading. I have come to the understanding that optimally quarantine tanks are usually free of live rock and sand. This is to make certain that no diseases are trapped in the sand bed. I've sat up my quarantine tank and I'm only running ceramic rings and some filter floss over it. Will the tank cycle? And will it build up the necessary bacteria to make it safe for livestock? It's been running for over 3 weeks now and I've tested it with no detection of any ammonia or nitrite. Does that mean the cycle is done?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

no
    there is nothing dead, decomposing or rotting. So there can not be any cycle.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2013
  4. Yuri

Yuri

What do you want to treat for?

5. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

Oh I'm sorry I forgot to mention I've been throwing in fish food and a small piece of fish

6. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

I don't understand the question @Yuri. I'm starting up a quarantine tank because I love quite far away. So transporting fish for a long time would stress them out. Putting a quarantine tank in place will save me alot of fish in the future

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Henkie

Henkie

White spot? Velvet? etc. If I understand the question

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

having a quarantine tank is quite important indeed. I have one but I don't keep water in it if there no fish to be kept in. normally what I do is mix new water when I want to add fish and only use a skimmer. depending on the type of treatment I also have a UV light. in the tank itself just add one or two short pieces of PVC pipe for the fish to hide in. do a water change every few days and that should be enough. if you are using the quarantine tank to treat sick fish using ceramic rings or activated carbon is not recommended because it will filter out the medicine as well

9. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

Yaaa I've set it up to save myself from any diseases and stuff. Haven't started using it. It's a small little set up that I can maintain easily and hassle free. I will remember to remove the ceramic rings in the future. Will the tank not cycle if there isn't any liverock. I've read up that u could do a lifeless cycle but u should feed the tank. Which I have been doing. Haha. I feel like this was a pointless excercise for 3 weeks

10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

the whole point of the cycle is to build up enough benefitial bacteria in your LR to be able to consume ammonia and nitrites caused by die off when setting up a new system. even thou bacteria suspended in the water column can also be benefitial it will simply not be enough to do the job. it will need the LR to host in and multiply ... also in the case of quarantine tank there is no die off since you only add freshly mixed water which contains no organic matter that can decompose / die and cause ammonia spikes

11. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

Hmmm but than won't the fish contaminate the water in a quarantine tank? Like won't their presence create ammonia spikes? I was always under the impression that a quarantine tank has to also cycle for it to be fish safe. So liverock is a complete necessity in the cycle of a tank? There is no other way of doing a cycle? Apart from adding fish. I'm against that

12. Yuri

Yuri

Are you mot going to use it for corals, live rock, shrimps and fish?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

YEs they will
    So that is why rather big water changes are needed.
    Or
    the use of bio-balls.
    Or
    small little skimmer.
    Or any of the above used together.

No substrate, no liverock.

But, you want it to be "natural". else the fish stress the whole time.

14. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

Ok thanks @RiaanP. So cycling a quarantine tank is not needed. I got it. But just for interest sake. Would using a piece of fish or feeding the tank create a cycle?

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Take into account that although there would be bacteria in the water column, 99.9% of the bacteria will be in the rock, substrate, on heaters or wherever they can host on.

It is not the water that cycle. It is the dead things in the rock that releases ammonia into the water column.

The cycle is the process to get rid of dead things in the rock. As you start the tank with nothing dead in it, there is no decomposing / rotting phase. So this will start up with a high ammonia count. And the count will settle to zero when cycle complete. So eventually you should have no ammonia in the water column.

When starting a QT with nothing, only water and PVC pipes, you water column got no ammonia in it. Perfect. But as you start feeding the fish, and they shit, yes that process will then start to release ammonia into the water. That is why a skimmer / bio balls / ceramic rings or whatever is needed.

Also the reason why you cannot buy 10 fish and QT them together. The bacteria to produce the waste colony size must grow as your fish population expands. Or you need to add bacteria, or good housing quarters for the bacteria.

16. Nadzo

Nadzo Thread Starter

ok thanks @RiaanP. making alot more sense to me now

Recent Posts