Quarantine tank VITAL for all reefers

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by ziyaadb, 21 Oct 2010.

1. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Thought i should share:

So i thought i never had WS in the tank. BEEEG mistake. There was no visible Ws in the tank until last night. Tuesday night we experienced a Black out, power came back after 2 hours but the skimmer overflowed when the power came back as its insump. Skimate went into the tank not much. This triggered the White spot. Yesterday i come home and see the regal and flame in white spot not terrible but enough to make me uncomfortable. Now its an irritation to me and i want to get the fish treated but i have no QT tank or the space for one at the moment so i need to wait to get a QT and set it up and QT the fish to clear the WS. This means taking out ALL the rocks in the tank to get the fish out as i do not want to live with white spot in this tank. Lucky i do not have any corals in the tank at the moment so its not an issue.

Please please please if you intend on keeping a reef and not a FO tank please ensure that you have a QT or access to one and QT ALL fish regardless of where they come from. This will save you lotsa heartache and stress in the future as this hobby is supposed to relax you and not stress you

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JD167

JD167

I agree. I set up a "breeding/QT" tank next to my system that is plumbed into my main system. The idea is that I cut the water supply off when I use it as a QT system and open when it serves as a breeding tank.(After a good cleaning obviously)

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a YT from a LFS and decided to QT it to make sure it's healthy etcetc. I'm so glad I did. About two weeks into QT it died. It was eating vitamin enriched food regularly and had no visible signs of any illness or stress.

Moral of the story, get a QT. It doesn't have to be big and doesn't require a lot of equipment. Only regular water changes.

4. maj

maj

A good idea is for one of the LFS to sell "ready-made QT" tanks.

What is the ideal dimensions of a QT?
    Needs a powerhead
    Maybe a peice of LR
    And a place for the fish to hide

No skimmer needed

5. JD167

JD167

Nice idea on the "ready made QT's"

All you need is a heater, small powerhead that won't spin the fish like in a washing machine, a ceramic pot or a offcut PVC pipe or fitting and a airstone.

No LR is needed and also no sand bed.

6. maj

maj

what is the ideal size,so as to be able to house all sorts from a wrasse to a clown trigger?

7. rakabos

rakabos

WS comes and goes, my regal gets a small bit of it when i do water changes so i dont freak out over it, just supplement food with vitamins and it should be ok. There is no need to qt the fish and take all your rock out if it's only a small outbreak

8. rakabos

rakabos

WS comes and goes, my regal gets a small bit of it when i do water changes so i dont freak out over it, just supplement food with vitamins and it should be ok. There is no need to qt the fish and take all your rock out if it's only a small outbreak

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Thread Starter

IMO - Big enough so that the fish can swim at least 3 tail kicks and turn around without touching the sides, but bigger is always better.

I disagree. I would rather have no whitespot in the tank period because with time it can get out of hand and infest everything and cause major heartache.

10. JD167

JD167

Mine is +-40L's(I think it's 40cmx30cmx30xm). No need to go too big. (Depends more on what you want to QT or plan to have in your tank.)

Last edited: 21 Oct 2010
  11. maj

maj

Cool,iv got a 60cm tank that i can make use of then
    that should be perfect coz with all these horror stories goin around,im goin to start QT'ing my new inhabitants

Recent Posts