Quarantine Tank Setup

Reaction score
Hi Guys need advice on setting up a quarantine tank, what size, water requirements filters etc.

the idea around this is when I eventually catch some local specimens I want to quarantine them and ensure they start eating etc before putting them into the main tank

so any and all advice welcome

Reaction score
Theres many ways of doing it. Personally i follow @Humblefish ways. Its by far the easiest for me. Only downside to it in SA is to get CP you need a doctors script.

Reaction score
I usually just used a 90L bare bottom tank with a heater and a small water pump for water movement and agitation. nothing special needed. No light, no sand, just water, heater pump and medication. a 90L might be an overkill, but I had one on hand when I needed it.

Reaction score
I usually just used a 90L bare bottom tank with a heater and a small water pump for water movement and agitation. nothing special needed. No light, no sand, just water, heater pump and medication. a 90L might be an overkill, but I had one on hand when I needed it.
Thanks for the reply, I have a similar setup, I have a 50l tank barebottom with a spongefilter and heater, I am thinking I may get a small water pump for some flow, there are just so many articles out there

Reaction score
Many articles yes, because many people believe their way is the only way. In this hobby there are many different beliefs and some people swear by it, yet we have proven numerous times that there are many ways to skin a cat. :m03:

Reaction score
Many articles yes, because many people believe their way is the only way. In this hobby there are many different beliefs and some people swear by it, yet we have proven numerous times that there are many ways to skin a cat. :m03:
Lol totally agree, I ask alot of people about their methods, at the end of the day like you said many ways to skin a cat just need to find the way that suites you/me, also I am very huge believer in giving the fish the best chance possible to adapt to tank live so get irritated and disappointed when they die hence why I keep refining my methods

DeanT

Dean
Reaction score
I’m Using a 140l tank as it was lying around.
I have airstone with Ozone, heater, flow pump and then have uv connected.

Main thing is to keep it clean, as it need to be as controlled as possible.

Everyones methods will differ in how they approach quarantine

Reaction score
I’m Using a 140l tank as it was lying around.
I have airstone with Ozone, heater, flow pump and then have uv connected.

Main thing is to keep it clean, as it need to be as controlled as possible.

Everyones methods will differ in how they approach quarantine
Thanks for the reply, yea I agree everyone seems to have their own methods, so I have decided to keep the QT simple, only thing I am changing now is the way I introduce my sea water from the petshop other than that fish only have to live in the tank for 10-14days

DeanT

Dean
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, yea I agree everyone seems to have their own methods, so I have decided to keep the QT simple, only thing I am changing now is the way I introduce my sea water from the petshop other than that fish only have to live in the tank for 10-14days
Try keep the water from the shops out, you never know what’s floating around, and you don’t want to pickup something unexpected

Top Bottom