Quarantine Tank Setup

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Goby, 21 Oct 2009.

1. Goby

Goby

Helooo all reefers.

Want to setup a quarantine tank for new and i'll fish. WS is bugging my system and already lost my powder blue. My question, what do i need to run a successful quarantine. do i need things like a skimmer and dsb too? What type of filtration is needed?

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. durleo

durleo

A Quarantine tank doesnt have to be fancy - I set mine up with a sponge filter and heater.
    You keep a sponge in your main tank sump for a few weeks to collect bacteria and then you use this to seed the Quarantine tank. Jus dont put the same sponge back if you treating with copper and other medication. You have to do regular water changes though and siphon any uneaten food.

4. amalick

amalick

Keep it simple

The typical time spent in QT varies but can be up to 6 weeks. I succesfully run an 80l tank, no skimmer, heater, bare bottom, hang on back external filter and airstone.

Water changes are done frequently (for example to eliminate WS by siphoning the bare base) so a skimmer is kind of point less. In any event when you medicate a skimmer is not advised.

Keep it simple! - Personally my QT is always running even when there is no stock in it. I feed it to keep the bacteria cycle going and often do water changes by filling it with my DT water that I would normally have discarded.

5. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

I only want to setup the tank when new fish arrive or when fish are ill. Is it better to just take water from your DT or will it be fine to prepare new salt water a day or 2 before. Also, do you need to do the bacteria thing.

thanks for your inputs

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

old tank water is best, less stress, if you use new, remember to acclimatise them to it...

yes one needs some bacteria to keep water in check and prevent stress.

go to a petshop and get zeolite, about R20, for 200grams, keep this is a stocking in your sump a few days before setting up the QT, then get a airfilter, about R30 and place in there, then when done, discard.

or a little cheaper is to buy ceramic rings, and do the same, but i only use about 5-10 rings per time and discards, a pack of R40 lasts about 20 QT setups

7. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

Ok, was thinking about the whole QT setup thing. Does it mean that when you start a new fresh marine setup with no fish for the whole cycling period. Then for every new fish you buy you QT first for 3-4 weeks before moving over to the DT. Will the DT ever be infected by WS or any other disease, no matter if the fish get stressed?

8. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

also can corals carry over infections or is it just fish?

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Goby - no. The chances of getting whitespot (cryptocaryons irritans) would be extremely low, if you can keep to this regime.

Only fish. C. irritans does not live on/off any corals that I know of.

10. Goby

Goby Thread Starter

thanks jacques

and i'm thinking...how could one pass on such an important step in this hobby. i think we get so excited when we buy new fisheeees that we can't wait to get home and introduce the new inmates into our DT for new viewing pleasure. we forget all about the good that a QT does.

from now on i will use a QT, even if it takes time. what could be better than a good healthy system, were fishes are disease free and not constantly bugged by parasites.
    the end result will be much more rewarding than to jeopordize the whole system for a new fish or 2.

Recent Posts