Quarantine tank requirement

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a question regarding quarantine tanks.
(Edit: i found some previous threads related to my question. Good stuff, so much to learn. Happy days!)

I have never actually used one before, and feel it should be a priority. My main tank is a standard 4 foot, probably 300 to 350 liters or so, with the sump. (Carrying all those barrels of water, it felt more like a million liters.. )
Would a 60 liter tank be ok for quarantine? (Probably only 3 or 4 fish at a time.) Hot long to quarantine for? (Fish will generally be caught, except if I get a clown. Bought fish will always be quarantined, the last one i gought almost killed everything)
What equipment do i need? Tank will have natural light, so that is no issue, but will a power filter be ok or do i need to go the whole sump with skimmer route?
Tia

Last edited:
I use a standard 3ft tank. Spunge filter. Heater. And some hiding space. That's it.
Oh and a ammonia badge

Last edited:
I use a standard 3ft tank. Spunge filter. Heater. And some hiding space. That's it.
Oh and a ammonia badge
One more question. Once I have it set up, do I keep it running, or do I dismantle it and sterilise after every use? Maybe I use it more as a quarantine/final observation tank and use the bucket method for actual treatments? Bearing in mind, the majority of my fish are going to be self caught.

I restart my qt everytime. But I suppose it will depend on what medication route you take. Even with local caught fish it's advisable to qt them. Don't take risks.

I restart my qt everytime. But I suppose it will depend on what medication route you take. Even with local caught fish it's advisable to qt them. Don't take risks.
Quarantine is the plan. I think i will use a combo of the qt and bucket method. Set up a permanent tank for observation post quarantine/treatment but do the actual graft in buckets. So new caught critters go into qt, and get observed. If they show signs of mankyness, they go to the buckets.
Fish from a shop go straight to buckets. The only mass die off was a result of a bought fish. (Back then, i knew almost nothing and wasn't quarantining.) If things go pear shaped in the qt, then I strip it and sterilize everything.
How does that sound?

Last edited:
Personally i found the bucket method is to much work. But if you want to do it. Go for it. Only problem with bucket method its only effective against ich. Personally i use @Humblefish ways. Since he posted about chloroquine phosphate that's all i use. Super easy and effective against many diseases.

Back
Top Bottom