Quarantine Tank & Cycling DT

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Vleis Visagie, 12 Jul 2016.

1. Vleis Visagie

Vleis Visagie

Hey Oaks & Oaketso_O

So i am busy cycling my first marine tank, its been cycling for about a week now. Like all new guys to the hobby, we are eager to get fish into our tanks & start enjoying them, but........

I have been reading a lot about marine tanks & there is still a lot more to learn.

What is the best way about going to get my 1st fish in as quick is possible?

Should i set up a quarantine tank while my DT tank is still cycling, or should i wait till my tank is cycled & then only set up a quarantine tank?

I dnt have any established rock or anything to filter the QT, but also i heard that copper kills live rock anyway. So I will have to do water changes everyday for +-3weeks ?

Hope all this blabber makes sense,

Your INPUT will be appreciated.

Kapish
    Vleis

Last edited: 12 Jul 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jacojs

Jacojs

You dont need live rock or sand in your QT, I do 50% water changes weekly on my QT, 25L waterchange. I dose stability daily and some prime too, but I only have 2 small clowns in my QT.

*EDIT* Oh and its 6 weeks to be safe.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2016
  4. Vleis Visagie

Vleis Visagie Thread Starter

So basic mechanical filtration would be fine for 3 weeks? Ill prob get 2 clowns in the beginning as well ( i know they are hardy, but dnt want to stress the in the QT tank with high levels of ammonia & stuff)

yes i read that sand can be a breeding ground for parasites.

I have a 45l QT tank, so 50% water changes a week will be sufficient with some stability dosing?

5. Jacojs

Jacojs

@Vleis Visagie

It should be, I ran an internal filter filled with sponge, I removed all uneaten food (as much as I could) after every feeding. 3 days before the 4 week mark my clowns showed whitespot :cursing:

One thing I did notice though was that there was a "film" on the water surface, I want to put in a baffle on the one side of the tank with a small return pump in there, this should "skim" the surface keeping it clear, with filter wool in the baffle it can easily be thrown out and new ones inserted.

I started the bucket transfer method and they are now back in the QT, only now I run the internal sponge filter together with a canister filter to which I connected a surface skimmer attachment.

I forgot to mention that I do a 25L waterchange on my display tank and the display tank water then goes into the QT after siphoning out 25L of that.

So far my clowns are okay with stability dosing and some prime.

6. Vleis Visagie

But then u are just adding al the Nirates to the QT tank by using your DT water??

7. Jacojs

Jacojs

You can use new water. It's up to you. I just figure they are going to the DT so they might as well get used to the water while in QT. It saves water too :) Entirely up to you.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
    Vleis Visagie likes this.
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If your display is clean, whitespot free. There should be no issue with doing multiple small water changes on the main system, using the old water for the quarantine or bucket method. Actually it would be better as temperature would be more stable. Being winter now, freshly made up saltwater needs to warmed up to correct temperature. Adding 10L water that is too cold into a 500L system would not impact that system at all.

9. Vleis Visagie

@RiaanP Wait Wait, maybe im confused. MAJOR MAJOR POSSIBILITY

If your are transferring water from your DT to you QT tank then you just adding all the nutrients from the DT to the QT, doesn't that defeat the cause. Cuz u do a water change on your QT very regularly to remove nutrients.... ALSO my DT is still cycling so the nutrients will be low i guess, Nitrites only started to pick up now.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

During bucket method, I do a 50% water change every second day. The water parameters in the bucket by the second day is worst due to no filtration in there.
    On my holding tank, I use old display as well, to do water changes. Holding system got a skimmer and lots of bio-balls for filtration. Using old display water is not an issue either. With no filtration it could be.

Quarantining corals for a few weeks, is actually better to use old tank water, especially for softies like leathers and pincushions. Who prefer slightly dirty water compared to SPS.

So it depends on what you plan to quarantine. Lawn mover blennie, I actually want algae to take over my holding tank before buying the blennie. Copperband and mandarins, need pods available, and pods need algae. I prepare or more accurately said neglect the holding tank before buying the next fish.

Plus that prevents impulse buying. (Or should).

11. Vleis Visagie

Ahhhh i understand.

Unfortunately i dnt have a extra skimmer. Ill prob dose copper to kill any parasites as i dnt know how to identify them (except for WS now, since your thread), so that will kill all good bacteria anyway as well. So biological filtration is out of the Q, im gonna try to do a DIY mechanical filter (filer sponges) for now till i can get something proper for the QT tank (LATER ON).

Just when i thought, okay i got the saltwater thing figured out... Boooooooom - you need to learn more. LOL.

Only 2 Clownfish will be going into the QT for now.

Thanks for the advice @RiaanP

*EDIT - Snap what about CUC? They prob need to QT as well & they need algea & stuff to feed off.. Ahhhhhh not gonna win at this game...... Actually more the patience thing i guess.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2016
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm still learning new things. That is one thing about this hobby that I like. There are always something that you did not know. Or forgot.

Long time ago, I had a holding tank without skimmer, relying on bubble Caulerpa for nutrient export. It worked very well, except that the bubble caulerpa went sexual on me twice within 4 months.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

found a pic of that tank, OK, half of the tank.
    [​IMG]

Like a 3 chamber setup, Skimmer part was the caulerpa grow area. DSB section the holding area. The return section had a pump pushing water directly back to first chamber. You can see the pipe in the picture.

14. Vleis Visagie

Another Q,

Any specific way you guys quarantine a CUC & do all the CUC need to be QT'ed?

Hermit Crab,
    2 Turbo snails
    1 Shrimp

Thanks

15. Jacojs

Jacojs

CUC never really get quarintined, some people do but most don't.

16. Vleis Visagie

Urgggg,

Should u though? They can carry nasty stuff into your tank as well?

Well, they are going to be the first life in my tank, so can monitor them in there, but im afraid something gets in there & berries itself in the substrate & then eventually gets onto my fishies.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2016
  17. RossK

RossK

The reason you don't have rock in the QT is because it can hold all sorts on nasty bugs. I use the same philosophy for anything with a shell. All it takes for an outbreak are tomonts hitching a ride on the back of a snail. And they can stay attached to the shell for up to a month.
    Unfortunately you can't treat this with copper, so a really smooth bottom on the QT with regular water changes or QT water passing through a 5 micron filter is about what you can do. Or you can move the livestock between buckets (@RiaanP - bucket transfer method).

Last edited: 19 Jul 2016
    Vleis Visagie likes this.
  18. Jacojs

Jacojs

Or you can put your CUC in your display tank for 8 weeks without adding fish, whats the difference? You are going to quarintine new fish for 6 weeks anyway or longer should they get sick, by the time you put your quarintined fish in the display tank any ICH parasites will have died off no?

19. Vleis Visagie

My thoughts as well..... I'd like to some more feedback on this one.

20. RossK

RossK

Agreed, CUC in the DT without any hosts will work. No host = no WS.

Jacojs likes this.
  21. Vleis Visagie

But WS isn't the only sickness out there.

Recent Posts