Quarantine Tank and Stressed Fish

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by RiaanP, 2 Dec 2009.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A lot has been said about a quarantine tank and that all new fish and other livestock bought should first be quarantined for at least 6 weeks.

Now to throw a spanner into the works.

Will a bare bottom empty tank not stress out a new fish more?

A week ago he was still in the sea. Now he is in a tank with no hiding spots, place to sleep, rocks he is used to. He is already stress, now he is going
    "where the f___ am I?"
    "Is this the fish equivalent of hell?"
    "open water, swim swim swim, find hiding spot, where's the predators?"
    :whistling:

(I asked this in another thread, but think it should be a discussion on its own)

Basically how do you prevent a fish to stress even more in this empty tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

No comments?:(

4. magman

magman

Riaan, imo I think that Q tanks are wrong, rather acclimitize and put him into the DT and let him settle as soon as very possible, if your setup is right, it will be a holiday compared to the lfs where the fish has just come from.

Otherwise I think people can put normal rocks in the Q tank

5. lIghty

lIghty

why does the tsnk have to be empty? you could put rocks and sand in if you are quarantining with the use of Cu.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

my 2ft QT has a small rock and some elbow joints for hiding, and about 1cm of gravel

7. mandarin

mandarin

We also had this WS story, lost a powder blue, regal tang and mandarin:(
    First of all i dropped the salanity from 1.025 to 1.016 over a period of three days and kept it there for eight days temp 25-26 c.
    There after i raised it again over a period of another three days to 1.025, temp 25-26 c.
    All other fish and inverts showed no side effects, actualy my tank is blooming for the first time.
    If I ever buy fish again, i Will QT them for 6 weeks, i will do it the same as for my DT and there will be shelter to minimize stress. Don't rush,:yeahdude: it's more fun.

8. Annoying

Annoying

I would say certain fish you should deffinetly quarintine! Fish like angels and butterflies that sometimes struggle to eat and to find a place in a stocked aquarium. Just quarintine the fish long enough so tht you can see he eats and is starting to feel at home, other fish like damsels and chromisis you can add directly to the DT, just make sure they are healthy when you buy them. I think six weeks is a little overkill in a QT the poor fish will get nuts from a small tank with less then perfect conditions. Just make sure he eats and starts to come out more then he'll be fine in the DT. Just my 2 cents worth...

9. Slummies

Slummies

If its only for eating purposes, then why dont just add it to your DSB?

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

Fish ain't that clever :p

11. Annoying

Annoying

It's usually the biggest problem, if they eat healthy...they stay healthy! The QT is also there to guarentee that the fish is disease free but if you buy a healthy fish that you really spent time to look if they are happy and healthy then there should be no problem in your tank.

12. FransSny

FransSny

IMHO fish should be QT'd by the LFS (this does not happen in practice though).

If you are going to QT...dont go bare bottom, no LR etc, as dallas mentioned try and give it a "bit " of natural habitat

13. RiaanP

But you should go bare bottom and without any articles where the white spot cyst can attached themselves.

I can think a few 50mm pipes and elbows could do. Easy to take out and rinse or dip in RO for a while.

and the bottom, if bare could easily be syphoned each day to get rid of the cyst.

14. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry riaan I dont agree . A blank tank is not natural therefore adding to stress in my opinion.

You can just a well empty the QT after the period. You will also not be able to remove WS / MI more effectively

15. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry riaan I dont agree . A blank tank is not natural therefore adding to stress in my opinion.

You can just a well empty the QT after the period. You will also not be able to remove WS / MI more effectively if kept more natural

16. Annoying

Annoying

Most of the pet shops only quarintine for a week or so, but still it's better then nothing.

17. RiaanP

exactly what my point is Frans. Not to give the white spot cyst place to stay, the QT should be bare bottom with no stuff in it where it can adhere to. But then it is not natural causing the fish to stress even more.

So if it is a QT, to get rid of WS, it should be bare bottom

But a QT to check that new fish eat, should be natural.

18. Pads

Pads

Although you may be able to regulate ich or some other disease, is it not correct that fish naturally carry some diseases and they usually become visible when the fish is stressed. IMO the QT is more of a refuge for the fish to recover and regain strength or to ensure its "de-stressed" before introducing it.

I concur, one should create an area to monitor the fish but still give it some "rights" like a roof over its head as it were.

I'd hate to put a new fish direct into the DT and find that it gets harrased then gets ill then crawls into a hole and dies. Do you want to redo the aquascaping everytime you have one sick fishy. For sure I don't. I think its only fair to the beautiful animals of the sea that although they now live in an area 1/10000 of the size that they are introduced very carefully.

But I do hear your point. Some reefers simply don't have the space for a QT. Nevermind the added rock and sand to be added and cleared everytime there is a new addition.

19. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Qt- can have substrate if you are running a extremely low salinity that only the fish will live in (or running copper)...all parasites will die. I have noticed the more hiding place there is for the fish...the better it distresses.

Bur if running copper no LR must be used...the micro organisims will die and spyke your NH3...causing more trouble!

Wrasses need a sand bed to go and shelter in....they destrass much better in a sand bed rather than sheltering in a rock or pvc

lLights need to be off...and food needs to be available 24/7.

This is what i do and the success rate and time that the fish starts eating is much faster

20. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

And i forgot to mention....bigger fish destress much quicker in larger tanks!!

21. JD167

JD167

If cost and space wasn't a problem could you not create two QT systems? One bare bottom with a couple of pipes and elbow joints and one with some sand and a rock or two? Treat the fish in the bare bottom tank for any sicknesses or place new fish in the second system if you just want to de-stress and acclimatize it. This second system should be connected to your sump so that the water temperature and parameters are the same as your DT.

I feel that the sump is a little busy and noisy with pumps and skimmers etc and will only add more stress to the fish.

Recent Posts