Quarantine, newbie questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by nudibranch, 27 Nov 2013.

1. nudibranch

nudibranch

So I have read a few threads on this subject and would like to know a little bit more on a few points.

If I buy a smallish tank and split it to have a chamber for filtration, return pump and heater. What filtration could I use, bio balls and filter wool?

How do I setup the tank in terms of water. Do I take water from my existing tank or do I just make new water. If I make new water (RO + salt) will the water parameters be ok or the fish. is no cycling needed?

Thanks for any advice
    Paul

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

water, if your display tank is disease free, you can use the old water from your water change. No need to use new water. It will also help to keep the water parameters closer to your display system.

And weekly as you do water changes on your main system, you move the ole main system water to the QT.

Can use an old Daro 60L or 90L as a quarantine setup. Put in one divider and have a return pump in there. Fill the chamber up with bio-balls. The return line should run all the way across to far side. One small powerhead, small heater and you are ready. If you want to quarantine corals (should) then ensure the light fitting you use is capable of sustaining that coral.

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

ok to help i am going to write a quick thread on QT and AT, will post link here

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

6. nudibranch

nudibranch Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Makes sense.

Recent Posts