Quarantine/hospital tank equipment

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I've decided to set up a quarantine/hospital tank together with my new tank. I've got the following equipment for my saltwater medi-clinic so far:

3 foot tank + canopy
stand
2 x T8 lights + ballasts (strong enough for fish?)
3000lph return pump
sump
2 x Jebo skimmers (should be good enough if necessary at all)
300W heater
Plastic ornaments for hiding places

Are the equipment sufficient enough for this?
Do I need anything else?
Do I need to put something in the sump like carbon?
Do I even need the sump?

I know I have to leave it bare bottom and with no live rock or DSB. So, is it OK like this?

Reaction score
Seems a little overkill, how many fish you want to keep in this QT ?

Reaction score
You would need a area for bio filtration, being a 3ft there might not be enough space inside the tank, as well as the skimmers etc, I would build a small sump to hold all this.

Remember you can't just rely on water changes, as if you are required to medicate, this could cause problems. a small sump would be best IMO.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Seems a little overkill, how many fish you want to keep in this QT ?
The thing is I already have all this equipment and it's been lying in my garage for 2 years now :p
Might as well use it :)

Reaction score
The thing is I already have all this equipment and it's been lying in my garage for 2 years now :p
Might as well use it :)
Makes sense, my Qt is a non-permanent unit, just comes out when needed. No lights, hang-on filter, heater and daily WC

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
You would need a area for bio filtration, being a 3ft there might not be enough space inside the tank, as well as the skimmers etc, I would build a small sump to hold all this.

Remember you can't just rely on water changes, as if you are required to medicate, this could cause problems. a small sump would be best IMO.
I have a sump for this already - 750L x 310W x 320H.
how many compartments do you guys suggest and what do I put in it? Except for the skimmers in the first one.

Reaction score
I suggest changing the lights to T5's if you going to be putting corals in QT...

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone remembers those tropiquariums? I use the 88 as a Quarentine. Perfect as it has that awesome biofilter. Mine runs 24/7 though

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone remembers those tropiquariums? I use the 88 as a Quarentine. Perfect as it has that awesome biofilter. Mine runs 24/7 though
I would also like to run mine 24/7. After my new tank finnishes the cycle, all new fish will be hospitalised for 4 weeks before going into the DT. This will obviously take long as I will be stocking very very slow ;)

Reaction score
Dusting this one off a bit....

My idea for a hospital/quarateen tank is merely a 300X300X300 (mabe smaller) tank next to my sump. The return chamber in the sump will feed the H tank by means of a slow siphon. the water will then siphon into a waste bucket from there. Will this be sufficient or is there a better way? Could I use this as a acclimitisation chamber as well?

What do you think?

Reaction score
Won't you eventually empty your main tank ? If you have a auto-top up unit, it will start dropping your SG.

Why not just run the QT seperate ?

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Agree with Warr on this one !

dallasg

Reaction score
i keep a pack of bioballs handy, and keep 5 in my sump, then when i need my QT i use those and throw away when done if medication is used, then add 5 more to the sumo to reseed for next time