Quarantine Existing Reef Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Andreas, 4 Jan 2010.

1. Andreas

Andreas

Hi Guys,

I've just about had it with whitespot and want to give my inmates the best living conditions possible.

I've been battling with WS for a couple of months now after adding a Blond Naso that didn't eat and eventually died. My problem is that I already have a small collection of fish that would need adequate space so that no fighting/aggression takes place.

What size quarantine setup would suffice for 2 X Yellow Tangs, Sailfin Tang, Regal Tang,Naso Queen Angel, Emperor Angel, Midas Blenny, Bi-Color Angel, Coral Beauty, Flame Angel, 2 Common Clowns and a maroon clown.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Are you wanting to run your tank fallow? That takes a couple of months doesn't it? Has Scuba got a big tank running, surely he will house your fish for you?

4. lIghty

lIghty

How bad are they Andreas?

If they feeding they should pull through, but removing them may cause undue stress, and with having so many fish, you going to need a fair size tank to QT, you more than welcome to fetch my spare 1.2m, but doubt its big enough.

I would concentrate on providing the best water quality possible, and feeding good food.

5. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

My plan was to remove all the fishies from my DT and leave the coral, liverock etc in there until the quarantine phase has complete. I have a spare 4ft tank that I could use but I'm not sure whether the size will be adequate for all the fish.

Cant take that chance.:whistling:Haven't you been reading how many tanks he's managed to bust lately:p Cant imagine what will be left after a couple of weeks:lol:

6. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Right now the sailfin and regal are really looking bad bud:(All the fish except for the Queen Angel are eating like mad at the moment. This cycle has been repeating itself for the last couple of months now and I want to provide better living conditions for my livestock. Everything is the tank is stable but ICH is really a b@stard:thumbup:

7. lIghty

lIghty

So why not use my 4ft along with yours, that should be enough space?

I know its a long shot but have you tried Myxazin? or I think you can use Octozin with corals and inverts?

8. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

No I haven't. I recall a thread where guys were confused about whether it was reef safe or not even though the bottles stated otherwise:confused: I will do some reading up;)Thanks

9. lIghty

lIghty

Myaxzin is 100% reef safe, I've used it plenty before, no ill effects!;)

Waterlife states Octozin is suitable with invertebrates, not not sure about corals?

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Damn dude. Time to park that bike off in the garage for a while :p
    Hows the temperature in the tank? Stable?

11. viper357

Yip, I also used it once, no problems with corals and crabs etc. It did turn my silicone a light shade of blue/green though, so be wary of that.

12. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Cool, will give it a go then before going for the extreme.

:lol:Alan wont allow that:pWhy you scared of getting another 50m dash wipping:p

Temperature is stable Mek. Between the heaters and chiller they are keeping things nice and constant

Thanks will give it a go. Colour coded silicone is the least of my worries:thumbup:algea just needs to stay away:whistling:

13. viper357

I'll ignore the algae comment :p Maybe run a UV 24/7 just for a short while to try and help a bit.

14. viper357

Anyway, back to your original question, I would be perfectly happy with putting those fish in a 4ft for a short period of time. They aren't that big are they?

15. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

:lol:So who's got a spare UV that I borrow for a while:)

16. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

The Queen is quite a decent size and the yellow are not far behind. It might work seeing that I wont have any liverock and only a couple of pieces of PVC pipe in the tank but I've seen how aggressive tangs become to one another when confined to a small space.

17. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Just an update on this. Things have really gone haywire in my tank after adding three lion fish to my 4ft tank that is plumbed to the main tank.

I've lost a **** load of fish including the lions, my queen angel:(, bi-color and I haven't seen my emperor angel for about a day now. I've started dosing Myaxzin and I'm currently on the third day of a schedule of five days so hopefully things get better or else I'll break this system down;)

18. Warr7207

Warr7207

Wow, sorry for your losses

19. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Thank Warren

Just to add, something drastically has changed in my setup and this has not been caused by WS. It looks more like body rot as the fish have some kind of "rash" like effect on their bodies. I can only think that the newly introduced lion fish can be responsible for this.

Now to go look for a high building:whistling:

20. durleo

durleo

Sorry to hear of ur losses andreas - these fish have died fairly quickly - if you gonna quarantine the existing fish i read on a forum the guys use chloroquin at a dose of 10mg p/lt - its the medication used for malaria. Have you identified if any of the other fish have the same symptoms?
    I add immunvit and lipovit to my fish food - It has brewers yeast - spirulina - garlic extract and cod liver oil to boost their immune system.
    Where the lions wild caught or from LFS?

21. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Sorry to hear chomma!
    Maybe take the rest of the fish out and let the tank run empty for 2 or more months?
    After that quarentine ALL new additions.
    In the meantime you can stock up on some corals.
    Good luck bud!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Recent Posts