Quality SPS coral food

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by archiecrain, 24 Jun 2011.

1. archiecrain

archiecrain

Hi folks

Im starting to get bleaching at the bases of my sps corals. My nitrates and Phosphates are undetectable so Im assuming the reason for the bleaching at their bases are the very low nutrients, I dose MB7 daily and vodka 3 times weekly.

I have been adding Reef snow, Phyto greens and zoo plankton, all from Brightwells alternating between each daily dosing approx 3-4 ml. I have mixed feelings about wether they actualy do any good....I have not read much that would suggest that they are very good either..

What can I look for as far as a high quality coral food that I can add daily?
    (calcium, KH all kept within correct ranges)

bearing in mind I will be upgrading my skimmer over the weekend to compensate for the extra feeding that I need to do....

My system is approx 100L

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Archie with low nutrients you need to feed the tank a bit heavier than normal. Feeding your fish a bit extra will help as the fish faeces will feed the corals as well as smaller pieces of broekn up food. Plancton based food will also help but feed your tank to introduce nutrients as weird as this sounds. I dont think its a lighting issue in your tank. Also check your KH, Ca and Mag

4. Jcc

Jcc

Base bleaching is normally alk swings. Pale colors is too low nutrients.

5. archiecrain

archiecrain Thread Starter

Maybe need another fish or two to help with that. What do you think about Reef snow etc used them at all?

my kH is stable at 8....I havnt noticed any swings...

6. Tony

Tony

Archie, I know who are running that 150W halide over the tank but how long is the photoperiod and how close is the lamp to the water. Otherwise a phytoplancton, reef snow food can help.

7. archiecrain

The Halide Runs 8 hours from 2PM-10PM.....should be fine right?

The lamp is real low over the water, maybe 8cm above the water so that all the light is directed into the tank

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

move KH to 10-12 range. Ca around 360-380. and DO to about 6 at a temp of about 25c

9. aslam

aslam

Kh of 8 is fine,why does he have to increase,especially if there's stability.

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Please explain your beliefs and why you say this.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2011
  11. aslam

aslam

Alk of 8 is close to nsw,also his alk is steady at 8.So why should he raise his alk.

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The oceans are very stable from a water quality prospective. However this is not the case in a closed aquarium environment.

13. aslam

aslam

According to Archiecrain,his alks rock solid at 8,I think by shifting his water parameters,he would be doing more harm than good.Anyway,his sps are starving and he could feed more or add more fish which will allow more fish waste for corals to get more food,provided his skimmers big enough to handle the bioload.

14. SCOOBY

SCOOBY SCOOBY

I would keep the temp at 24-26 ,Cal 400-440,mag 1280-1380,Kh 7 and good flow.
    It works for me.Got SPS for 7 years now.Do you do water changes? 20% is good each month.

15. Seabass

Seabass

Could your bleaching not just be as a result of insufficient flow reaching the base of your SPS?
    http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-magazine/71913-sps-recipe-success.html

Last edited: 25 Jun 2011
  16. Tony

Tony

I think you're hit the nail on the head with the flow. The paramaters are stable, the lighting is more than enough and I knwo archie doesnt have a lot of flow in his tank. Archie do you have any wavemakers in that tank at all besides your return?

17. archiecrain

Ive got 1000lph Return pump, 1 sunsun wavemaker 2000lph, 1 Seio wavemaker 1000lph and a small 200lph ruturn pump behind the rocks.....I move the pumps around quite a bit to blow detrius into the overflow.....Im not sure about my flow being to low I think is quite a lot...

Onto water params my latest tests were
    PH 8.2
    KH 7 (not as stable as I thought....although I buffer daily????)
    CA 480 (I havent evan been buffering) 1ST TEST WAS @500:eek:
    Nitrate 0 (but I can see some colour in the test Im actualy happy to see nitrate again)
    Phosphate Undetectabe
    Water changes are @ 10% weekly (will increase to 20% maybe)

What realy confuses me some of my sps corals are starting to grow nicely around their bases, but whilst others are either showing no growth or signs of ressesion again....

I can push the KH up....but how do I hold it there...what would help stabalize it?

18. Tony

Tony

Archie your KH swings could be stressing the SPS. Unfortunately some of them are more finnicky than others which could be why some are OK and others arent. You need to work out your daily consumption of buffer before coming to a dosage. So you will measure your KH, add some buffer and retest the next day at the same time more or less. If the reading is lower than the first test then you have to increase your buffer and decrease it if its too high. Alternatively up your KH to about ten and leave it for two or three days testing in between to check the progress and after three day test it and average the drop from the first day to the third which should give you your daily consumption

19. pXius

pXius

are the growing corals in higher flow areas vs. the no growing corals?:whistling:

20. archiecrain

No in fact in one of the lower flow areas....0ver 4000lph in a 100l tank....thats got to be enough?

look the frags that are growing are Digipora, montipora and a staghorn...so they pretty bullet proof I believe....

I think I will focus on my KH buffering as Tony has suggested....How quick can I push it up to 10KH? In one day or gradualy?

Last edited: 27 Jun 2011
  21. Jcc

Jcc

Alk i would increase slowly. Not more than 1.5dkh per day and spread your dosing to 2 times a day as its more stable. I had a problem with some base recession on acros and bad color because of alk swings. Acros also like more flow. Monti is more tolerant. I have to add 2.5dkh alk a day so got dosing pumps to dose 12 times a day.

Recent Posts