Qballs Nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Qball_V1.0, 28 May 2014.

1. Qball_V1.0

Qball_V1.0

Upgraded from my pico to a TL550. Its was first wet halfway through December and the cycle began...
    That was just over 6 months ago and things have changed quite a bit... Tank is stocked with everything I want and now its just a case of letting it grow out. I reckon after about a year it will be more or less where I want it.

Equipment wise things have changed a bit from the standard TL550. First thing was ditch the hood. Reminded me of a spaceship and cant really say I was a fan of it. Why couldn't they just have made it square and neat? I designed a acrylic "lip border" to keep jumpers in the tank and havent lost a fish while its been on.

Built a 70w DIY led unit which I had on the tank for about 3 months. Corals loved it, SPS growth was great. Upgraded about a month ago to a 120w LED unit.
    The original skimmer was also ditched and replaced with a Tunze 9004.
    The spray bar was removed as it kills the flow of the return pump too much. Return pump will be upgraded shortly.
    Cooling/heating is controlled by a STC-1000 temp controller linked to my heater and a 120mm 220v fan. I have recently purchased a Hailea chiller, just waiting for it to arrive.

I have a slim line HOB filter on the back as a refugium filled with LR rubble. I had LED's in the lid of the filter as I had Chaeto in it aswell, which I have since removed as it started to die off. The refugium was added to boost the pod poulation for my mandarin. With regards to the mandarin, she has been in the tank about 4 month I think and is still fat and healthy. I feed freshly hatched brine shrimp every day (the rest of my fish go mad for them aswell) and have also trained her to eat lobster and fish eggs. Took a bit of patience...

Flow is provided by a 1 x Tunze 6015 and 1 x Jeboa WP10. I will be buying another WP10 in a little while. Awesome bang for your buck pumps.

Dosing wise, using Brightwells liquids, namely Calcion and Alkalinity 8.3. For MG i am dosing Red Sea magnesium. I am also dosing RedSea Nopox. A mate of mine that sells and repairs hospital equipment has organised me 2 medical dosers which need very minor mods and these will be used for dosing CA and KH. I was going to put the Nopox on a doser aswell but I am too worried that something goes wrong with the doser...

Media wise, running seachem carbon, phosphate remover and purigen. Once my Seachem products are finished I will be switching to the carbon and ati phosphate remover I bought from Marco.

I do 20lt WC every sunday. Have only ever used Red Sea Pro coral salt and my own RO water (0tds)

I will be transferring the ATU from my pico to this tank aswell.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Last edited: 28 May 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Qball_V1.0

Qball_V1.0 Thread Starter

Some more...

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Looking good bud..

5. Qball_V1.0

Thank MO ;)

6. puffer fish

puffer fish

very cool love that lobo

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

awesome setup...

8. Jason

Jason

WOW great looking setup, some inspirational pics....

Cant wait to start up my Boyu

9. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

@Qball_V1.0, you said you removed the spray bar. Just one question, when I remove my spray bar there is a bit of surface media that builds up on the surface. How did you manage to get past this? Also what direction and where is you wave makers?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Seabass

Seabass

First pic, BANG rics. Very nice. How did you get the rics to attach to the discs? Must take long or was it low flow and a bit of rubble glues to the disc.

11. Seabass

Seabass

Oh I for got. Nominate this as TOTM.

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Lovley system

13. brazer

brazer

Very nice.

14. Qball_V1.0

I replaced the spray bay with a "duck bill" nozzle if I can call it that. I have another plan for an over flow. Will post pics here in a few weeks if it works.

I have a wave maker in each top rear corner of the tank. both are pointed slightly down. That being said though, it will vary from tank to tank depending on your scaping etc.

15. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

Will tag along to see the pics.

Where could one find such nozzel, I have seen them in tanks but never at the stores?

Thanks.:thumbup:

16. Qball_V1.0

Hey P
    I buy those small clear round containers (about 4 or 5cm in diameter by about 3cm high) at the plastic warehouse, then cut a decent size hole in the lid so that there is still about a 1cm lip so to speak. Take some a small piece of netting and place it over the top of the container then close the lid over it. Stops the ric from possibly floating away. Then I place the ric in the container with a few small pieces of LR rubble and put it in a low flow area. Once it has attached to the rubble I super glue that to the plug and you're good to go.:thumbup:

Last edited: 28 May 2014
  17. Qball_V1.0

LoL, still a while before it gets to anywhere near that...

18. Qball_V1.0

If I remember correctly mine came off of an old smashed TL450 that an LFS had and was throwing away.
    Your LFS should be able to order spares and parts for the boyu tanks. When I still had my std skimmer and needed a new impellor needle they ordered it no problem. @Kunhardt has a nice after market nozzle for his. I speak under correction but I think he got it from @leslie hempel?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. toppdogg

toppdogg

Hey dude
    very cool tank well done
    :thumbup:
    seems like nano's are becoming more popular now days

20. Qball_V1.0

Yea I've also noticed a trend towards smaller tanks these days. Sign of the times perhaps...

21. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Don't say that! His ego is already over inflated! the tank is mediocre at best...lol, Looking awesome Cuan! :tt2:

Yip they are definitely becoming more popular of late...I agree its probably a sign of the times and how we all need to watch our monthly costs...that was my main reason anyway...Also think its becoming easier to maintain more complex corals etc in these smaller systems now with the advances in the hobby.

Recent Posts