Pyjama Cardinal Help

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by dogstar, 12 Oct 2009.

1. dogstar

dogstar

I bought a pair of pyjama cardinals on Sunday (as well as some other fish). Was only going to take 1, but bought the pair as the lfs guy said they need to be in pairs or more. Got home and one of the pair was already looking like it was dying. It was swimming upside down and sometime just lying on its side motionless. I knew it was on its way out.
    I contacted the lfs and they said I should see if he makes it, if not can come back and chat to manager. I acclimatized for about an hour, and then added the fish to my tank. As soon as it went in, the powerheads blew the fish around, and it died.
    Now the other cardinal is not looking to great either. All it does is stays in a low flow area in the top corner of my tank. Its not interested in food, and hasn’t moved from that spot since yesterday afternoon. The other fish I bought are all fine.
    [FONT=&quot]Is this a result of the pyjama cardinal not being with more of its species, or is this a sign of another unhealthy fish? I am concerned this fish might not make it either. What should I do?[/FONT]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I've had a single Pyjama cardinal for nearly 10 years now, so it's not necessary to keep them in pairs. They are nocturnal fish by nature, and would require a few months to adapt to the brightly lit reef-type aquarium environment. It could thus be that it's just very scared at the moment - observe it after the main tank lights have gone off, and see it it looks more comfortable. If so, rather leave the main lights totally off, or only on for two or three hours during mid-day, for the next week or so, and then slowly increase the photo period over the next few weeks.

Have you acclimated the fish properly (slowly) to your tank water, and how does your water compare to that of the LFS (probably more salty...) This too could be a reason for the fish being stressed.

Hennie

4. xtreme

xtreme

Straight into the main tank? What about QT

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Exactly. :nono:

6. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

Just an update.

I acclimatized all the fish for 1 hour. I don’t have the money or space for a quarantine tank, so for me its straight to the main tank unfortunately.

I got home late last night, the second cardinal did not make it, and neither did the stripped chromis I bought on the same day. The 4 striped damsel i also bought is still okay.
    The striped chromis was looking very healthy on the day I put him in the tank. Was feeding well and finding his way around tank.

And all my other livestock are fine ( 2 clowns, 2 blue green chromis, 3 hermit crabs, 1 Turbo snail and various softies)
    Didnt get a chance to check water parameters, as it was late last night. But i suspect all should be in order - the other livestock are just fine.

Without water parameters, any suggestions on what i am doing wrong?

7. xtreme

xtreme

My point of view, Not a professional,

Your system doesn't have a lot of fish, so it could be ok to put them straight in, but it will be advisable to get a QT, if one may get sick
    What I have red is, Buy one at a time and put it in QT to make sure its ok at least for 6 weeks, if you buy more than one it could happen that 1 maybe have ich and the other fungus or any other decease, so if they are together what are you going to treat then?

You don't need a big tank, standard 25L (460x230x300) is ok, just put a box filter in with out any charcoal and heater and leave the light off for the first week to calm the fish, If you're treating the fish do water changes according to the medicine, not treating do it once a week.

One day you will have expensive fish and you don't want to take a change.

I lost an emperor JUV angle, Hippo blue tang 2 pajama cardinals chromes and clowns.
    so don't take a chance.

ONE OF THE WISE MAY CORRECT ME IF I"M WRONG SOME WHERE

Thats my opinion

Good luck

8. Tony

Tony

What's your flow in your tank like. Cardinals dont like a lot of current as they are generally lagoon fish

9. Reef Maniac

xtreme is quite correct, it's best to have a quarantine tank, and to only add one or two fish at a time, with weeks (or preferably months) between additions.

Well, I can understand the space problem (although I'm sure that you could make a plan...), but not having enough money is not an excuse - not if you have the money to buy fish or corals :whistling:

Would you care to elaborate a bit on your setup - what size tank, what type of filtration, pumps and lights, and how long has it been set up. Oh, and what other live stock do you have in the tank?

Also, please elaborate in detail on how you acclimated the fish to the tank.

Hennie

10. xtreme

xtreme

See Hennie

I read and read and listen to the pro's and it helped me a lot.
    Thanks for all the pro's

11. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

Fair point about the QT tank.

tank is 1mx0.5mx0.5
    Filtration is by means of a DNW-110 skimmer and dsb (38cmx20cmx16cm) in the sump, and about 25kg live rock
    Lights 6 x t5's
    Flow, 2 x 3000lph sunsun, 1 x seio m820, 1 x seio 620
    Tank is running for just about a year now
    Other livestock: 2 x clowns, 2xchromis, 1x 4 stripe damsel(added with the pyjama cardinals), 3 hermits, 1 turbo snail, several ricordia, polyps, 9 heads of frogspaw, 1 x meat coral

I acclimatized the fish by placing the bags in the display tank. I peg them to the side. I have a bottle with several line of air tubing coming out, with valves on to control the flow. I get tank water to drip out the bottle through the airline hoses into the bags. I drip about a drop a second. When the bag starts to get full i take out some water in a bucket and throw that away. After an hour of the above i net the fish and add them to the dt. i throw all the water from the bag away.

12. Reef Maniac

OK, that is by the book, keeping the temperature constant, slowly equalising the salinity, and not adding the "suspect" LFS water to your tank :thumbup: The drip rate could be slightly faster, but that's neither here nor there.

The tank should also be mature enough to handle the increased bio-load of four new fish (although adding so many at one time is not ideal...)

So, this leaves us with what??? Either a toxin introduced at the LFS, or perhaps ammonia poisoning caused during the shipping of the fish to the LFS, and the fish not having enough time to recover before you bought them - most likely the latter if the LFS has not had the fish in stock for more than a day or two. Of course, it could be any of a number of other causes...

Hennie

Recent Posts