pXius' 5 Foot/1.5M

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by pXius, 13 Jun 2011.

1. pXius

pXius

Ok, a quick history:

I was into fresh water a few years back and stopped when I went to university. I'm now back in my own place doing my masters in Investment and Risk management. Working from home I've got some time on my hands for a hobby and was always intrigued by marine aquariums.

Problem was the cost and lack of knowledge. Being a guy who has tried almost every hobby on the planet I've always burnt my fingers by buying equipment to fast and ended up needing to upgrade almost immediately.

For once in my life I did some research and found MASA. So most of my "buys" so far have had some research behind it and were not impulsive like usual, not all of them anyway.

Before I start I would just like to thank EVERYONE at MASA for all the information and knowledge you have shared, especially Leslie.

The TANK

[​IMG]

Dimensions: 1,5M long 50CM Wide and 70 CM tall.

That's about 500liters, with the sump its just above 600L

I built the cupboard myself and it didn't come out too bad. Sealed/coated inside and out to handle the humidity and painted only outside as I will be lining the inside with cork or something soundproof.

Filtration

Live Rock 42kg's from just about everywhere. Got some Kenyan, Indonesian most bought off the forums. Thanks to Flaming Angel, jaybeepee.

About 15kg of base rock which will hopefully seed. Thanks gMan (great guy btw!)

[​IMG]

Sump is small to fit into the cupboard. 71x44x45 cm. Snug fit :p
    3 compartments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. Skimmer, a resurrected Skimz 181 from leslie! Its been patched up after the post office practically destroyed it but already pulling some iced tea from the system.
    Also in the 1st compartment are 2x 300w Elite heaters.

2. Second compartment is nice and wide and is gradually being filled with live rock. Pieces I didnt want in the tank are already in there.

[​IMG]

3. Return section. All with bubble traps, so no bubbles in the display :thumbup:

There will be NO DSB. I will be going the NP-Bio pellets route in order to save space. I also feel its the next step in the hobby. And easier to implement.

Also got "The bag" filled with carbon in a bubble trap.

Few ceramic rings from a matured tank, like 10 or so just to help the cycle.

Plumbing

Would just like to say thanks to RiaanP for the overflow part.

Got a triangle overflow in the left-back corner covered with black perspex.

The flow is controlled by a ball valve. There is emergency overflow piping plumbed into the main pipe in case the ball valve gets blocked.

My return is fed up back through the overflow piping to keep it all neat. I have a cover on the tank and didn't want to drill it so so all the piping comes through the overflow section.

[​IMG]

Flow and Return

Planned: 2x Vortech 40's

At t he moment. 1 x 12000L/h Sunsun, will add another to the other side of the tank this weekend until get get the Vortech's.

Return 4000L/h but splits in the display so doesn't create that much flow.

Lighting

3x 120w LED fixtures with a 14000 kelvin rating. That's a mix of 1:1 white:blue

These are 2w leds so in other words 55 leds per fixture.

2 fixtures would have been enough but placing them side by side dramatically increases PAR at lower depth. So 3 it was. I've found some reviews with PAR readings and they seem very effective with tanks running them for months and from start up.

They have been ordered and I'm waiting. Will be doing a second import for a friend if these work.

Call me a test dummy.

Other

Other side of cupboard.

[​IMG]

Built a power box to house the timers and control all the equipment as you can see here. Still have to get the labels printed.

[​IMG]

All the wires are in the white pvc piping. Soldered and taped, and silicone over the electric tape.

Using Red Sea Coral Pro salt at the moment. System has been running for a week so I'm not bothered to do tests at this point.

Sprayed back of tank black for some depth as its only 50cm wide.

Got loads of life in the LR, including quite a few stars and somehow 2 turbo's... They seem to be doing ok but there's no algae to feed on... yet.

[​IMG]

Dosed a crap load of cycle to get things going. :peroni:

Next post, aquascaping... sort of.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Aquascaping

Didn't do much, yet.

The Idea is to have one massive reef, a high one, keep in mind the tank is 70cm high so the reef on the left is pretty high up. And a smaller arch on the right. I dont want anything in the middle, I wanted some swim space and some of the attention in the openness of the middle.

Oh yea, substrate is play sand. I love the powder fine look.

Some shots from the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shots from the left.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Excuse the blue cone filter/ girl friend's shaker. Its filled with floss to pick up dust etc. The play sand was quite dirty so that cleared the system up after a few floss changes and almost sleeping on the couch when the gf saw her shaker :p

Here's a shot from what the skimmer pulled so far. The bubble/foam level dropped back to the middle of the skimmer after it skimmed that bit. I've read it happens when there's nothing to skim.. :whistling: not sure though.

[​IMG]

I will be doing mostly softies, clams and lps with a few sps pieces high up on the left reef.

That's it for now.

Feel free to comment/advise.

:1:

4. Xereo

Xereo

Looks Good to me :) :thumbup:

Now wait the cycle out :)
    Maybe add Some Stability and Biodigest.

5. Evo R

Evo R

Looking good there!!! :thumbup:

Just a quick Q.
    Looks like most of your scaping is just stacked and not glued together.If so i would glue/bond them together just incase they touple over and hit your glass.(wich will suck if it cracks!!!!)

pXius likes this.
  6. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Thanks!

Will try to get some this weekend. :)

7. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

The arch has been puttied but nothing else yet. I'm too unsure hehe, but yea, it worries me a bit at the moment.

8. Evo R

Evo R

LOL take your time.You have the whole cycle's time to chop and change your scaping.You should just putty or cable tie them before you get any land re-scappers:lol:

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

looking cool man! Nice and neat. You should check my wiring out :p

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Nice start there dude. The scaping could do with a bit of work though, looks a bit uniform to me, but it could just be the pics. Good luck with the hobby I am sure you will enjoy every minute of your tanks progression.

ps. I am selling a Vortech MP40 if you are looking for one :P:whistling:

11. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

I'm not satisfied with the left side reef either. A close up pic however will reveal that its built it "steps" so lots of space for corals.

Will upload a close up pic later :p

True that!

will do, thanks ;-)

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol if you want to see uniform scaping you should see my new scape.. one side looks like a box :lol:

13. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

R100 and you have a deal :p

Will be saving up for the next month or2 before that becomes a reality

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

dude, which campus were you on? UJ or wits?

15. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Potchefstroom - NWU

But driving there once a week, only have one class for masters. ;)

16. Michael B

Michael B

Tank is looking good & enjoy your attention to detail (looking forward to how it goes as you stock up)

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol so you are travelling pretty far then.. Lol in UJ, the masters class for finance has like 3 people in it :lol: ..

18. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

We're 4 :thumbup: would have thought you guys were more.

19. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

sweet bro skimmer looks like its working, i see you have the air adjustment screw pretty far out.. so it will pull more air and the water level will be lower unless adjusted by the sluse outlet..

overal; system is nice and neat.. well done and good luck

Recent Posts