PVC fumes poisonous?

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Hi
I built my closed loop system using plumbers tape to seal the water inlet pipes so that I could adjust the flow directions. Clearly there is air getting in somewhere as I have a massive micro bubble problem. Having eliminated all the other possible causes from my sump, I now believe that air is getting in above the water line at one or more of the pipe joints and I now need to seal the pipes properly with PVC glue.
My question is this:
Once I have glued the pipes in properly, I can't vent the system to release the glue vapours that will inevitably fill the piping system. When I turn on the pumps and these fumes then go into the water, are they potentially fatal to my livestock, or will they quickly dissipate/skimmer take them out etc? Is it a risky thing to do?

Cheers

Hi
I built my closed loop system using plumbers tape to seal the water inlet pipes so that I could adjust the flow directions. Clearly there is air getting in somewhere as I have a massive micro bubble problem. Having eliminated all the other possible causes from my sump, I now believe that air is getting in above the water line at one or more of the pipe joints and I now need to seal the pipes properly with PVC glue.
My question is this:
Once I have glued the pipes in properly, I can't vent the system to release the glue vapours that will inevitably fill the piping system. When I turn on the pumps and these fumes then go into the water, are they potentially fatal to my livestock, or will they quickly dissipate/skimmer take them out etc? Is it a risky thing to do?

Cheers

I am no PVC glue expert, but have done a couple of running repairs on my plumbing and had no adverse effect on livestock.

Agree with above in that i have never had a problem with repairs.

I dropped (By accident) a couple of drops of Pvc glue in my main display when I added another return pump a couple of days ago. Needless to say, it was impossible to take it out as it was the same colour as the water. I thought of just ignoring it and decided to just leave it at that, but a couple of hours later my guilt surpassed my deliberate neglect and I walked over to the tank just to make sure if anything has gone wrong.

To my dismay I saw this dreadful tank and Called my wife over to help test the water Parameters.

After about 10 minutes of testing everything there need to be tested, my wife turned around and said that all the parameters are 100%. Which of course did not help me a bit, as the problem was still there, right in front of my eyes.....

The clownfish must have snorted the stuff as he was definately stuck to an Anemonie....

LoL, just joking, but I bet I got everyones attention....

Seriously.... no harm...:razz:

Just trying to cheer the "okes" up. Ever noticed that we do not have active "chicks" on this site????

Just trying to cheer the "okes" up. Ever noticed that we do not have active "chicks" on this site????

Mhh this is a serious problem:peroni: Quick Sean come up with a way to remedy this now:1:

Why not post some naked pics of you and me. Maybe then Dean will also not leave the Country (And we'll be on Oprah):slayer:

Why not post some naked pics of you and me. Maybe then Dean will also not leave the Country (And we'll be on Oprah):slayer:

Oprah? more like Howard Stern:D

Damn we might have people leaving the country in droves, or hordes of women coming to South Africa :D:D:D:D:peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni:

Are you sure that pvc weld didnt drop into you drink :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well Kanga said I must come up with something Fast, the only thing that can come up that Fast, was a thought, the other things normally do not come up that fast and if it does, it does not go down that fast either;) :whistling: :yeahdude:

Well Kanga said I must come up with something Fast, the only thing that can come up that Fast, was a thought, the other things normally do not come up that fast and if it does, it does not go down that fast either;) :whistling: :yeahdude:

:whistling::whistling:

Back
Top Bottom