Putty - which type to use?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Fishfood, 26 Aug 2009.

1. Fishfood

Fishfood

I've read some posts here about guys usings Pratleys.
    Does it have to be a specific type of Pratley's i.e. Quickset?
    Are people finding it easier to stick than the type you buy from LFS?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. davidfr7

davidfr7

i would also like to make sure about it. Pratley putty standard setting. this comes in a red/white box and will harden under water.

4. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

I prefer the prattleys quickset but needs the coral to be out of water for 10-15mins after attaching to harden properly before placing back into the tank, doesn`t do any harm this way tho.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What can I use to attach a Button pollyp to a rock? There is no hard pieces on the Button and the rock got other rocks stack ontop of it. Front part is open and there is where I want to glue the Button. So I cannot press the Button into the putty without damaging it. The same for some Zoa's I have that is loose, not attached to any substrate or rock pieces.

If I have to take the rock out the tank, I will do it.

6. Boendoe

Boendoe

I use rubber bands to fasten bigger pieces, leave it on the rock for about 3 weeks, then they should stick. But for the smaller ones I take the rock out and use normal super glue. Leave it for about 5 min before you put it back in the tank.

7. Adee

Adee

I use the pratleys quickset putty, although you need to prop the frag in a no flow area while it cures. There's another putty for underwater use that I get from Builders, comes in a tube roll, u just snip the amount you want and then knead....for the life of me now I can't remember the name of it. This one does not foul the water as much as Pratleys and tends to stick/hold better straight after proping your frags into it.

8. Adee

Adee

9. dv8

dv8

i have used the normal pratly putty as well, it sets under water and is not toxic as far as i know. i use it for aqua skaping as well. super glue for zoas or shrooms when it's dry it no longer gives off any toxens but i wouldnt expect it to dry under water. the rubber band is a good idea to or thin strips of panti hose to tie it down with

10. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

God give us duck tape & pratleys putty to make up for the day He put women on the earth.:lol:

11. Tony

Tony

Riaan, you can use a drop or two of superglue to attach polyps. I've used the PRatleys quickset for a while and I have found that one can leave the putty for a five minutes to harden slightly after mixing. This way it's not soft and the corals that I stick stay down first time. ONe must also scrub the rock a bit with an old toothbrush before using to remove any dirt or algae

Recent Posts