purple tip anenome

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by animalia, 30 Jun 2009.

1. animalia

animalia

I have a purple tipped anenome which i will gladly give to someone which is able to lookafter it - it is not happy in my tank and wont eat or move around - been in the tank dor quite some time - i want this nennie to be healthy again - the other nennies are great and healthy - but this one is full of it. PLEASE can another EXPERIENCED mariner contact me.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. animalia

animalia Thread Starter

chickaboo - its yours i trust your judgement!

4. colemancol

colemancol

I just bought a huge purple-tip anemone for my 12g NC (well, really for my 2 false perculas I've had it for about 48 hours and it hasn't grabbed on to anything, it's just floating around.
    My question is, what is the process in which clowns begin hosting in an anemone? If I've read correctly, the clowns keep from getting stung only if they keep the anemone happy, feeding it and such. I fed my clowns last night so that they would have some food to feed the anemone, but they still haven't touched it yet.
    I was told by the LFS guy that the purple-tip is a clown-friendly anemone but since I've never had an anemone + clowns before, I'm not sure how they start up a relationship.
    Help, anyone?

5. Pugsly

Pugsly

does not sound right that is is floating around - but I am no expert on them. have you tried to place it somewhere or on something? Try give it a piiece of shrimp or prawn meat

6. Anemone

Anemone

A 12 gallon tank is much too small for this anemone. What lighting is on the 12 g? The clownfish do not need to keep the anemone happy to keep from being stung. They have a protective coating that prevents them from being stung. It does not sound like you have a healthy anemone. Please post a picture and consider finding this anemone a bigger home.

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I agree fully, Anemone! Colemancol - clownfish can survive perfectly without an anemone. I would rather suggest trading that anemone, for a BTA (they can adapt far better to lower light conditions).....
    A BTA (bubble tip anemone)'s scientific name is e. quadricolor......

8. Junz

Junz

what are the requirements to keep an anemone ? i have upgraded my lights now and have been looking for one this past week ....

where did you buy yours ?

9. nadia

nadia

Has anyone have any idea if zoanthus ever "poo". I just moved some of them from my Nano to my bigger tank (yes, I now have a bigger tank with big sump, BIG skimmer and 4 T5 lights (2white, 2blue) JIPPEE!! .... sorry, and after a while they started opening up more than they did in the nano. Now they all have little brown/black strings (not like mucus, more solid) coming out of their mouths. ???

10. Anemone

Anemone

The requirements vary depending on the species. What size tank do you have, and what lighting. The BTA (E. quadricolor) is a good beginner anemone.

Anemones need an established tank, with excellent water parameters, and reef safe tank mates.

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I take it you meant to ask: "do anemones ever poo"

Yes, they do - out of their mouths, which is the only opening that an anemone has...

That brown "smoke" is normal, and healthy.

Hennie

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depends Junz

Most want bright light and nice water flow, but RBTA rose bubble tip anemone not. They prefer lower light and slow or calm flow. My RBTA is hanging under a rock, that is where he wants to be and I have 4 T5 tubes. It is just one big mission to feed it and to keep the shrimps away.

Recent Posts