Purple shrooms bleaching

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by danimal, 12 Sep 2011.

1. danimal

danimal

Hey guys

Had these shrooms for about 2 years and they have been doing really well (as shrooms normally do, lol) until about a month ago. They have started bleaching and withering away. I have about 5 species of shrooms in my tank, and the rest are all doing fine - it's only the common purples that are suffering.

I started the microbacter7 regime a little while ago to help get my nitrates down, which it has. I am wondering if this could be why they are unhappy? I have tried target feeding them, but no luck so far.

I also have a variety of LPS, leaters etc that are all fine. I'm very confuzzled.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

perhaps had a temperature spike recently? changed any bulbs?

4. Tony

Tony

Also any crazy changes in parameters or long power outages?

5. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

nothing that i know of. I did increase the lighting on the tank, i thought that might have been it. although the lights are not that hectic - 4 x 39W T5s, and LEDs equivalent to one 150 MH. I moved the rock with the most shrooms into the shade but it didn't help.

6. archiecrain

archiecrain

Low nutrients.....My two mushrooms look flea bitten all the time, almost transparent in my tank because I aim for very low nutrients.....some mushrooms will cope better than others...

7. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

that's exactly what im thinking...

8. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

ok so if it is low nutirents then i need to target feed more, correct? all I have been doing is squeezing a mussel over them every now and then, i guess its not enough. any ideas?

9. archiecrain

archiecrain

You have to find a bacteria dosing regime that suits your feeding shedule....at the moment your bacteria is consuming all the food....maybe up your feeding slightly, or lower your bacteria dosing....I would monitor any changes you make for a week or two to get a good idea of whats going on. (this is a rather simplistic way of putting it, but you get what I mean?)

I would think the Mushrooms would bounce back when nutrient levels are acceptable to them...

10. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

ok for now ill back off on the mb7 dosing - ill have it. ill also target feed the shrooms a bit more, will keep you posted. thanks for the help

11. jacoc

jacoc

This could be the cause...to much bright light change at once aswell..it will take a few weeks to bounce back..under less light...you also say you target feed mussels every now and then...like how manny times a day do you do this?
    also place them there where the flow in the tank is a bit lower...in a area where the flow of the water seem to basicaly let stuff drift to and it then settles there..that's where a lot of the food not being used goes to and they will get more to feed on...if you knw what i mean..a bit less water movement means more time for them to take..

Last edited: 13 Sep 2011
  12. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

cool, thanks... yep i know what you mean, i tried that but it hasnt helped.

the mussels to be honest havent fed too often. like once a week if i remember - for 2 years they thrived on that. now i think the low nutrients has c$cked things up.

Recent Posts