purigen vs dsb?

Reaction score
a dsb is there to remove nitrates primarily? purigen removes ammonia, nitrites ,nitrates and other stuff, why bother with dsb? just use purigen? a dsb seems to be a huge crap and sediment collector in comparison to purigen. and in a dsbless nano purigen would be the answer?

You can do away with a DSB. I just started mines up about 3 weeks back. and before that i did water change a month before. I tested for nitrates before i added the DSB and the it was <1. All i had was LR, Chaeto and heavy skimming.
So i would say yes. Use Purigen in the Nano.
The main reason why i started a DSB was for pods to grow.My DT is BB.

ps i dont have a nano currently but purigen may help those who do. my reasoning is that why go through the mellodrama when purigen will do the job, and when it is saturated , rejuvinate or replace. o usedto have a dsb in my tank! i removed a lot of my substrate three months ago. my sump is for my skimmer and chaeto with a little coral sandfrom my ex nano!

Mekaeel: dont the pods all get blended up when going through the pump back into your DT?

the difference in opinion is that a DSB is a once off payment and it keep removing nitrates theoretically forever, while purigen has to be replaced often!I like the cheaper more natural option! if i remember purigen wasnt cheap niether?

can you add a pic of the purigen please.

don't know how it works nor look.

some info will be nice too

Last edited by a moderator:
I would opt for a natural removal of a waste product above a chemical removal any day. A DSB is so low maintenance once set up its not even worth worrying about it.

i just bought some chemi pure elite! it looks fantastic! removes phos plus silica. bajing there goes the need for a phos reactor! i dont have a problem with a dsb , i just like options and this is another one!

I use Prodibio and have no phosphates and nitrates. No need for a DSB, phosphate sponge, nitrate sponge or algla turf scrubber. It's about R240 for 12 ampoules and that last for about six months which is about the price of a phosphate remover which lasts only two months.

jar says chemi pure elite lasts 4 to six months, will monitor. cost 189 so not bad either. might be a good idea to start list of things encountered and successful solutions/options moderators?

jar says chemi pure elite lasts 4 to six months, will monitor. cost 189 so not bad either. might be a good idea to start list of things encountered and successful solutions/options moderators?

Looked at one last week and here's the catch. For tanks of circa 200 litres one sachet ( 190-00). Tanks up to 400 litres 2 sachets ( 360-00). For tank of 400 litres and more, one sachet for every 100 litres. I have a tank of 700 litres so that's R1330-00. OUch and Ouch again. Prodibio about R500-00 for the same period and no I'm not a rep for them.

that getsinto the area of buying a phos reactor! fortunately my tank only needs one sachet. must say i have it in my sump under overflow and will wait and see how it performs1. ps 100gallons is over 300 litres not 200l. (just mentioning)

NOTHING CAN EVER REPLACE A DSB.... The DSB has SO MANY plusses..... Purigen HAS TO BE REPLACED every so often (yes - you can try and bake it - but every time you put the same back, it is less effective....)....

A DSB becomes more and more effective as it ages...

AND it not only remove nitrates, but other chemicals as well.....

I will never have a reef tank without a DSB..... UNLESS I have a R12000 skimmer... then perhaps... but then I won't have pods to feed my fish and pod-babies to feed my corals.....

Purigen HAS TO BE REPLACED every so often (yes - you can try and bake it - but every time you put the same back, it is less effective....)....

Sorry Jacques, you don't bake purigen, you regenerate with bleach ;)

Sorry Jacques, you don't bake purigen, you regenerate with bleach ;)

Oops - OK then ;)

BUT what the heck......

Some folks overskim - then they do not NEED to use chemicals like Purigen....

Back
Top Bottom