Purigen overdose

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by brendanpre, 17 Aug 2010.

1. brendanpre

brendanpre

Is it possible to overdose Purigen? One bag is supposed to treat 400L, my nano is 60-70L. Do i just use the bag as is or split it into 5 doses? Also has anyone recharged Purigen? Not sure how I feel about bleach and my tank....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

you cant overdose. just rinse dust off before using. you may be surprised how quickly it browns up in a nano setup. the bleach used to refresh it must be rinsed out and soaked in sevral water changes till no smell of bleach. you can use a dechlorinator like prime or stability on it(which one i cannot remember,but it is on container) enjoy!

4. Trev

Trev

If you have spare bags I would recomend dividing the original bag into 3 or 4 so that when you recharge one bag you have another to add straight away.

5. greenie

greenie

What is the reason for the purigen browns up so quickly in a nano set up?

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

because there is no skimmer in a nano or rather a proper skimmer

7. christiaan

christiaan

I used a full bag on my nano - works great! In a nano with regular waterchanges you don't have a negative trace elements inpact either so go for it.

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi guys. I run a small bag of purigen in my nano. Just want to make sure on the bleach to use. On the pamflet it just says "bleach", I wanna know if Domestos bleach is OK or must it be the ordinary plain bleach? Domestos might have chemicals in that is not safe, your input please?

9. FransSny

FransSny

Tobes, normal uncented bleach is the one to use, as far as I know Demestos differs a bit

mandarinman likes this.
  10. ScottK

ScottK

I use the normal Pick n Pay no name brand unscented stuff, seems to work well.

11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

any bleach will do as long as it is unscented.

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I would agree on this..always worried about overdosing, although I have been told you cant...

Would it not be better to "err on the side of caution", regarding the "bleach" and just replace every 6months..surely if you divide and make "bags" according you you'r Tank size..it can't be that expensive..I'm talking about NANO of cause...

13. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

as long as you use a good dechlorinator like seachem prime or seachem safe there will be no problem, have recharged purigen a couple of times in the past with no ill effects

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Gonna change nano sump setup later on, purigen is only temp. Colour is a tad darker than peach now. So will regenerate within the next month or so. Only got two fish, boxing shrimp, small peacock mantis and hermits. Thanks guys.

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Do you use just that?

16. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

i have read somewhere on the seachem forum that some other dechlorinators have some sort of slime coating substance that negatively affect purigen, could just be seachem trying to only sell their brand of dechlorinator though...

Yes that is all that i use, soak purigen in bleach solution for a day or two, then rinse well a couple of times, then soak in RO with SAFE for a day or two.

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Thanks, will do

18. saaid

saaid

You cant overdose if you not adding anything to the water? It just removes all the "impurities" thats it.

19. 2balive

2balive

I run twice the recommended volume of Purigen in my tank without any negative effects. As someone said before, next time I will split it in two bags so that I can take the one out and replace it intermittently and not the entire amount at one time.

Just something to keep in mind, some forums' post warns that if you have never run it before, the effect on water clarity can be quite dramatic and may give your corals a light intensity spike. Never seen it in a marine tank, but the impact of adding it to a planted Discus Tank was dramatic in terms of water clarity.

20. Seabass

Seabass

My water clarity is brilliant at the moment, to the extent I wanted to take out a t5 to tone things down a bit.

Wonder if it is the purigen that has caused this clarity change.

Have regenerated it once and use prime to remove chlorine. Turns peachy then I regenerate it.

21. brentv

brentv

I believe a few of you guys use Purigen and a few other Chemical filteration materials instead of a DSB. Do you use these in reactors and what else is used in conjunction with this, especially if I wanna do a heavily stocked SPS & LPS dominated tank, with a few fishies?
    Trying to weigh up my options on which route to go!:biggrin:

Recent Posts