Punk's Cube Design

Make sure you have the correct dimensions of the skimmer because the pumps do sit a bit sideways, so leave a little bit of extra room if you can, should you need to get in there to remove the pumps.

Make sure you have the correct dimensions of the skimmer because the pumps do sit a bit sideways, so leave a little bit of extra room if you can, should you need to get in there to remove the pumps.

Yip agreed, Hill had to watch me cut a pane out to make mine fit.

Also the new Octo pumps they come with are bigger(dimensions) as what the King 3 pumps were

2 questions please:

(1) is the TS2 rated for 500l or 750l ? some sites i google say 500l & some say 750l ?

(2) is there a better in-sump skimmer than the TS3 (rated for 1000l) in the R2-3K range that is also perhaps a bit more compact to fit into the skimmer area of my sump (370L x 450W) ?

thanks!
:)

would a TS4 be overkill for a 500l system? thanks!

Hi Punk - if you can afford the TS4 - then go for it! You can NEVER over-skim your tank. At least then you would be future-proofed as well - for in case one day you can have a 2 metre (or perhaps more) tank, and then you don't have to upgrade your skimmer again.

The TS2 is definitely rated for tanks holding 750litres of water. I know - I have one.... On my 2 metre tank (total tank water volume of +-630 litres).... It works quite well..... Now that it has "worked itself in"..... (this takes a few months or so).... I think that the TS4 is rated 3000 litres or something?

thanks a mil for the input so far guys!

what do you guys think if i combined the dsb & fuge like this?

cube1.gif

cube2.gif

cube3.gif

the OR2500 pump feeds the fuge from the sump, the fuge then overflows over the dsb (to keep the dsb "alive"), then overflows from the dsb straight into the display to feed it with critters! :lol:

i can then have 2 x 110l compartments in stead of 2 x 86l tanks! :thumbup:

one thing i'm worried about is that now the dsb will be 430mm deep!? is that too deep or can it work?

thanks again!

cheers :)

i just bought a RIO 12HF pump from calvin with the intention of using it for the "small" pump up to the dsb & fuge...

anybody know how much water this pump will produce at 2.4m head? the diagram here says it will give 1930 @ 1.8m... will this pump produce sufficient flow through the dsb & fuge @ 2.4m??

HyperFlowtable.jpg

oh & i also bought a reef octo auto topup unit from calvin, does anybody have a pic/link/more info about this product?

thanks!
View attachment 67994

What help do you need with the Top-up unit? I have one.

What help do you need with the Top-up unit? I have one.

i just hope i bough a good product as i have no clue about it...

looks like lots of people have the SAGA auto top-up product but it sounds a bit more expensive... does the reef octo have a top AND bottom sensor or just one sensor?

do you perhaps have a pic?

thanks! :)

Here's a pic

FW-220.jpg

As you can see only 1 sensor, my sensor wasn't working properly so I removed it and put on a better one, works like a dream now. I'm very happy with it.

i'm just wondering about the heat from the lights above the display tank.... how are you going to vent that space?

Design is looking good!! One or two things: Is your sump big enough to handle the return water from 2 or 3 tanks when the power goes off? Will the water not overflow into the RO holding area?
I would put the DSB in the sump, and the RO hold in the fuge tank, and use gravity and a toilet float vavle like I currently use to handle the top-up.

Oh, maybe I missed something, how will you get the skimmer in and out of the sump? It doesn't look like there's enough space above the sump for that.

Here's a pic

As you can see only 1 sensor, my sensor wasn't working properly so I removed it and put on a better one, works like a dream now. I'm very happy with it.
thanks man but it looks like that specific photobucket url is blocked @ my work, will have a look tonight, so it's only got 1 sensor? :)

i'm just wondering about the heat from the lights above the display tank.... how are you going to vent that space?
i'm going to put in some pc fans at the back and i'm going to put in a Hailea HC300 Chiller rated for 600L

Design is looking good!! One or two things: Is your sump big enough to handle the return water from 2 or 3 tanks when the power goes off? Will the water not overflow into the RO holding area?
I would put the DSB in the sump, and the RO hold in the fuge tank, and use gravity and a toilet float vavle like I currently use to handle the top-up.
Oh, maybe I missed something, how will you get the skimmer in and out of the sump? It doesn't look like there's enough space above the sump for that.
i already bought the reef octo topup unit from calvin so i'll just use that for now, i'm buying the skimmer before i build the sump so i can adjust / re-design as i build

many thanks for the input guys, much appreciated

ps. i'm getting the steel today! wee! :yeahdude:

how's this for a dsb design:
dsbfuge.gif

i was thinking the water will have longer contact time?

Hi Punk - no - I won't do that at all - a DSB only works well if / when it has the maximum SURFACE area.... Not depth specifically - look depth matters, but it is ideal between 12cm and 15cm deep.

I would rather add a "egg-crate" on top of the DSB - perhaps use some piping to lift the egg-crate off from the DSB, and then place the chaetomorpha or whatever macro you want to use - ABOVE the egg-crate.... In such a way you maximize BOTH the DSB as well as the refugium.....All this HORIZONTALLY....

I agree I also would not do it like that

Back
Top Bottom