Pumps

Storm

Chromis
Reaction score
Hello people. Does anybody foresee any problems having a pump in the tank pushing water into the sump, and then one from the sump pushing water back? Coz overflow box and Drilled aint a option for me...

Only possible reason I can think off is the return pump brakes and pumps some water on my floor, but whats the chances off that happening? Also will have it in the top corner so wont be much.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
It will work, but as you mentioned, is a huge danger. I wouldn't risk it, as you will come home and your entire sump has flooded and your tank is empty or vice versa.

Storm

Chromis
Reaction score
Wont empty the tank as its in the top corner about 2cm under the water line. But if those are the only problems ile have to live with them.

Sparky

Shrimp
Reaction score
Could you not use a reverse topup feature. If the water level gets too high, it shuts off one or the other pump?

dendrosa

Reaction score
Every time there is a power failure, the water will syphon through the top pump. You would need to ensure that the sump could take the volume.

geoffrey

Blenny
Reaction score
and even if you get it all right. say a tiny piece of dirt or something affects the flow of one of your pumps there will be a small error in ballance and this could over a period of a few hours amount to a few litres. so u'll always be correcting it. no pump will ever pump a constant amount all the time. I tried it. never worked

Storm

Chromis
Reaction score
Yea makes sence. Ive tried most methods. Overflow pipe with a U Shape, still needs to be siphoned when the power goes out. Same with a Overflow Box. Even with the pumps I couldn't get them to equal out. So maby I should just leave a sump coz its causing more headaches then anything...

SIMS

Regal Tang
Reaction score
You could put the sumpabove the tank...that way one pump in display pumping up to sump and sump overflows to display...