Pumps and tank noise

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by H0nda42, 3 Sep 2008.

1. H0nda42

H0nda42

Hi All,
    Something I've noticed when starting up my tank is all the noise generated by the pumps in the tank.I have a Seio 1100, juwel 600l/h as well as a reeftek hang-on with King2 pump.
    If you put your ear to the tank there is an incredible droning sound; and being a scuba diver I know how easily sound travels through water. Surely this affects or disturbs the fish? I am sure they would prefer a silent type environment.
    Also it's not great having the hum in the background in the lounge (versus a completely silent tank).
    My question is; has anybody ever looked into a silent tank ,whilst still having adequate flow?
    Ultimately i would like to have a tank with natural wave type surges and zero noise as well. Is this possible.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

That would be nice!!!! have you ever dived in the bay it sounds just like putting your head against the tank. You will always get a hum from your tank.

4. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Hi Kalkwasser, yes pretty much all tanks have pumps with the noise. I run a cannister as well and when I turn everything off; it is such a pleasure to hear nothing.
    It's just a thought and I was thinking that perhaps running a few extra return pumps in the sump would allow for external pumps to deliver the flow without the direct noise to the tanks environment.
    As for Sodwana - tons of boats do give off lots of noise but the further reefs are quiet.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

No Honda - haven't you heard how noisy a reef is? With the water breaking over it, the noise/sound the surge makes as it goes from side to side over the reef/through and around the reef, as well as the fish actually chomping on algae, corals etc?

No - fish are actually highly adaptable. Many people before also asked the question of noises/sound (ie. TV, hi-fi, footsteps, stuff being dropped, people talking loudly, etc) having an impact on the fish.

Perhaps newly added fish - they have to adapt to the surrounding noises still - but your settled fish have learnt to adapt to the noisy surroundings, including the pump noises, the external noises, etc....

6. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

spot on

7. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

You make a good point Jacque - I do remember the crunching/snapping sounds underwater from all the eating etc. Suppose you are right, I just don't like the incessant hum.
    Maybe I need to adapt:)

8. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

how long has the tank been up and running???

9. jacquesb

Honda - I think you are correct. If you are not used to the sound a marine tank makes, then - as you said - we reefers have to adapt.
    It is exactly for this reason that some reefers do one of the following:
    - either enclose their tanks completely with woodwork
    - put all the "machinery" (ie sump, pumps, reactors, etc) either in a seperate room in their house, in their garages, or even outside in a wendy house type thing....

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about, because I had to get used to my 26000 l/hour Boyu pump HUMMING away in my tank's sump (it is now my single return pump).
    In the beginning I had to get used to the water sloshing around (as it dropped from my tank to my my sump). Also water coming out of my 2 x ReefTek TS2 skimmers....

10. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

My tank has been running 3 months now. Just put a reeftek hang-on last week - so thats extra noise. Also it has a hang-in pump that lies in the tank.
    Current tank has no overflow or sump, but previous tanks have.Am used to running water sound - just asking thoughts on pump noises.
    Would like to try and design a 3 tank sump like I saw on another sight with a guy who has a Jebo-type setup. Then put everything in there. Still playing with the idea.

11. jacquesb

Honda - if you have the space outside your living room area, perhaps think of having 3 seperate tanks in a rack, which feed water to each other. You can then have your water from your display tank be pumped to the top tank, which could be the DSB, then from there, to the 2nd tank, which could contain your skimmer, and then the 3rd tank which could contain your refugium where you keep your macro algae (algae scrubber), and your return pump/reactors.....

This type of setup works REALLY great, if you have the space to hide it away...

Look at the following design (I hope that Simon Garratt does not mind me using his thread as referral point - but at this stage his tank is my role model):
    Reef-Eden 2006 (Its got Bigger) - UltimateReef.com

12. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Hi Jacque,Thanks. But no space available for me on that. I am however planning another tank and want to get alot of advice before going into the building stage. Must just convinve the wife and then should be full steam ahead.
    So I want to get this one running 100% and then convince her that 2 tanks are better than 1 (original tank is a b/day gift - so can't really sell).
    But Tank is stable and running nicely now.
    Adding fish on Fri.

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

What about the sound of waves and the lobsters crackling away.:)

14. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Yes Warr, but these are all intermittant, constantly changin noises.I was just wanting to get rid of the drone.
    Must say I heard something about a closed loop system that helps eliminate pumps inside the tank; as well as an above sump with surge device for a more natural type surge. These two things I would like to plan into my next tank.
    It's just my preference, and something I'm pedantic about. I'm sure everybody has their thing wrt their tanks

15. Warr7207

Warr7207

In my setup I have loads of Seios running and I reckon the drone has actually calmed the fish.

They love anyone visiting the tank and don't mind music (metal included)

I have very domestic fish, some feed out of my hand.

In a silent setup I reckon they may get a bit skittish

16. H0nda42

H0nda42 Thread Starter

Hey Warr, cool to hear - was just looking over your thread The War machine. You got a nice package to break into the hobby. Am using my current tank to learn and establish and then ouwl dlike to build a bigger tank once I have convinced the wife. But thanks for the advice.

17. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

Honda, I agree 100% with you, so don't feel alone. Part of the pleasure of a tank is immersing yourself in the experience. Pump noise, in my mind, detracts from the calming experience.

The only two idea's I've had so far have been mentioned above.

1. Highly efficient movement of water using wavebox or similar.
    2. Move all the pumps outdoors. It's actually easier than you may at first think. I recently plumbed some fairly extensive pipework so as to be able to locate my large chiller outdoors. Once you've crossed that hurdle, you can move most/all of your pumps outdoors without too much trouble. All you really need is something the size of a large dog kennel outside.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress. I'll do the same.

18. jacquesb

I have always found the sounds of water running very calming........ Other people find it distracting.... Both me and my wife find it really calming.... And I have 2 tanks in my living room :) Both of them with the sound of running water! :)
    LOL!

19. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

The running water is lekker, just the sounds of mechanized pumps turns me off ;-)

20. Furbz

Furbz

i have the sound of running water thru a pipe. not as appealing as you'd think! sounds like a drain!! got a durso installed. now the only sound is the sound of water running thru pipes. (bubbles) not the best of sound.

21. IMarine

IMarine

Hi Honda noise is always there, but if you opt for a good uplift pump like laguna,aquamedic,eheim you will be amazed how sound your tank will be and if you use tunze inside you tank it will also do the job but there will still be a slight noise

Recent Posts