Pump startup current draw

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mariusmeyer, 29 Oct 2010.

1. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Hey guys.

I am looking for some more advice from the electrical guys. How many times more would the startup load be with a submersible pump than its normal rated wattage. I have a lifeteck AP4660 which takes 145W. What type of startup load are we looking at.

This is apparently important when choosing in inverter according to a salesman that I am having issues with. He says a 145W pump can not run off of a 350W inverter with a surge rating of 700W since the startup load of the pump is around 6 times more than the normal rated wattage.

Any way how I can test the startup load of a pump?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashley100

ashley100

you would be just over if the max watts is 700

your pump is 145w(o.6A)x6=870w(3.6A)

What is the max watts of the inverter.

it would work but it will damage the electronics of the inverter if it goes on off on off ect.
    to test it yourself you would have to get a tong tester to measure the amps of the pump.
    I just tested my 100w pump and there was no difference on start up
    try get the next size up of the inverter and what els are you gonna run off it

hope i helped a bit

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer Thread Starter

As you said, there was no difference on your pump at startup. I can see big pumps having a big startup load, but all the pumps we use for returns are small compared to those. What does all the other guys do in this situation. Did all of them buy an inverter with this surge power taken into consideration? What size inverter are they running?

5. lIghty

lIghty

Ok, there IS a startup surge on any induction device (pumps), this current is not much with the small pumps we use, possibly x2 -x3? depending on pump and it's extremely short, this is why you your not seeing anything on your meter.

IMO that invertor will work no problem, just make sure it's a PURE SINE WAVE inverter!

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer Thread Starter

It is a pure sine inverter.

Recent Posts