Pump placement

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by KevinR, 18 Jun 2009.

1. KevinR

KevinR

Hi All

I have a 4foot system and I have a tunze 12 000 lph on the one side and a sun sun 6 000lph on the other. I have some spunges and a coco worm and some fish. My question is where is the best place to put the flow pumps? Must they be at the bottom of the tank pointing up along the reef? Or is it ok just to put them at the top of the tank pointing towards eachother? I have sand in my tank and there are always spots that the sand gets blown over the rocks. So where is it most common to point and position the pumps??

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

You can place the pumps in opposite corners pointing towards each other. That way where the currents meet it will cause turbulence. Try pointing the stronger pump a little towards the surface. This will cause some surface aggitation which is a good thing for oxygen exchange.

4. marine101

marine101

Wow what a question. There truly are many options. U need to find one that best suits u. Some general pointers. Try to direct surface flow towards your overflow. So for example a pump on one side of the tank angled slightly upwards to push all that surface muck into the sump. Random flow is good, so the use of wave controllers for your Tunze. Also not too much flow over coral that dont like it and lots of flow over coral that do. There was a few articles on flow in advanced Aquarist online magazine that delves into specifics, perhaps look there for more info? Good luck, and the more the better is what i say
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Good suggestion - thanks Manic....
    Kevin - ideally you would want your pumps balanced out.... just makes the turbulence more equal right through the tank....

6. KevinR

KevinR Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. At the moment they are on the opposite sides of the tank facing eachother. I have moved the tunze a bit higher in the tank and the sun sun lower but facing up a little as to not create a sand storm. There is alot of movement on the surface so that is all good.

@marine101, yes you are correct I guess there are truly many ways to arrange them but it just seems I have not figured out the best way yet. I have just noticed lately that none of the tanks that I have seen have the flow pumps at the bottom. So I have now moved them up.

@jacquesb, I have just aquired the sun sun last week and when I went to the lfs to get it they told me not to go for the 12 000 lph pump because they said it is too much flow for my 1.2m tank. I was also under the assumption that the more flow the better but they advised not to get the big one and only get the 6 000lph. Do you think 2 12 000 lph would be too much for my tank?

7. Manic

Manic Moderator

Those SunSun's have crazy flow. I put a 3000Lph in my 130L nano and it made a sand storm no mater how I placed it. I then got the SEIO 2000Lph and two SEIO 1200Lph and all of them combined aren't as strong as that SunSun

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

That depends what you want to keep, Kevin - if you are thinking of keeping SPS at all - then NO....

The MORE the flow - the better..... I have +-90 times water turnover in my tank (+-59000 litres per hour). My tank is 2 metres....

If you only want to keep fish - then, by all means - keep the power-heads you have.....

Recent Posts