Pump maintenance

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Wizard$, 1 Nov 2013.

1. Wizard$

Wizard$

Hi All

I figured I'd do a long needed clean and rescape of my RSM 130 and one item is to clean out all pumps, including skimmer pump. Question is after I scrub down and soak in vinegar to clear off calcium deposits, what do I need to do before using in tank again - just rinse thoroughly?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Henkie

Henkie

I just give it a good rinse before using it again

4. Wizard$

Wizard$ Thread Starter

Thanks Henkie, just wanted to make sure - don't want to start some algae bloom or kill of corals by performing this crappy task!

5. pkc

pkc

After acidic cleaning-
    Get a small round brush like a gun barrel brush, my wife bought a set of four at a junky shop, each a different size and take the impellor out gently by using long nose pliers on one blade of the impellor and pull straight out so that you do not damage the shaft or bend if it’s stainless.
    Us the brush to clean the cylindrical-electromagnetic area with the brush each month and do not apply any pressure to the shaft that the impellor spins on.
    Mine are all ceramic and break easily and its annoying to have to buy another, or use a small slither of timber or plastic to clean in there, never use metal and then rinse out.
    To clean the impellor carbon just below the actual impellor, use a plastic bristled brush under the tap.
    Its very important to clean all power heads impellor areas or it slows or fails and so does what ever it is running.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2013
  6. Bendor

Bendor

What about running overnight in the vinegar solution? All the turbulence should help with the hard to reach spots.

7. pkc

pkc

The vinegar is for calcium build up as such, not for the sludge that coats the carbon and elec mag area as is the impellor area.
    I use vinegar for corrosion as well on my dive gear and rust on tools, so it’s good for several things.
    Most good pumps have a channel in the impellor area to catch sludge but that lasts only a while till it has gone beyond what it can hold.
    The skimmer pump is the main issue with sludge and circulating pumps in your aquarium attract calcium-based growth, more then any others.
    There can be precipitation of other pumps but that’s not really common.

8. 2balive

2balive

I use citric acid and then let I run for 20 min in clean water.

Recent Posts