PSU Temperatures

Reaction score
Hi, a question for the electronics fundi's, the power supply units to my reef lights feel very hot to the touch. They are hot enough to feel the "burn" similar to what you get when you pick up a very hot cup of coffee. Obviously I'm quite concerned that they might catch fire and burn the house down.

I managed to get hold of one of those digital temp gauges with the 2 red laser dots that will give you the surface temp of whatever you put the dots onto. When I check the PSU's, I get a temp of 58 deg c and 59 deg c on the second unit.

My question here is whether these temps are within "normal and safe" specs....should I be concerned or am I just being paranoid and worrying about nothing? The suppliers and my LFS where I bought these lights are really going out of their way to try and resolve this "problem" for me and I really don't want to waste their time if I'm just being a paranoid old fart who is panicking over a non-issue.

Increase the airflow around them. Even a PC fan on a 12V transformer would help.

Back
Top Bottom