Protein skimmers???

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by KATHIE, 9 Feb 2010.

1. KATHIE

KATHIE

Can I use a protien skimmer in a freshwater tank????

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi,
    you do get some skimmer for freshwater, not sure how efficient they are though

4. KATHIE

KATHIE Thread Starter

Do you know where I can find them?

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i think most reef skimmers will work, i did google and found that air driven and berlin skimmers are used.

try asking in the sponsors forum, and specifically mention for freshwater use

6. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

i know you can get skimmers for koi ponds.

they are quite big...about 1.5 to 3 m high

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the skimmers needed for FRESHWATER need bigger pumps to work.. they are predominatley used for Koi ponds to reduce water in the water.. but generally skimmers need a higher salanity in order to perform properly, while im sure it will benefit you to use one to some extent unless you are feeding alot of meaty foods frequently to your freshwater fish i dont really see it as necessary..

still if you want to go ahead and put one in by all means do and document your findings.. you never know it may assist someone with a simular quiery..

8. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Get one. At least you will have the first part of the inevitable marine setup.:)

9. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

i have read somewhere that if there is enough crap in fresh water that a skimmer is effective, you dont want want to keep tropica fishl in that water in the first place.

10. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

dont joke :lol::lol::lol:

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

What does this mean ?

12. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

probably waste in water

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

OK, sorry my doff :p

14. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

sorry my bad was replying on the sly before the boss walked in:whistling:

15. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

just to dd my 2c here as i am currently building a pond .......in KOI systems we add salt...... yes salt but at a very very low salinity level...... that is why skimmers are effective in koi ponds ...... our normal skimmers do NOT skim in fresh water, niks.... i once tried both my TS1 and TS2 in fresh water when cleaning them before re-instillation..... got the fright of my life thought i have buggered them both up..... I think it is something to do with the viscosity or some equally scientific thing s to why they dont work in fresh water ...... i think Dallas is headding in the right direction with the Air driven / air injected skimmers .....

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I do have a small koi pond. 3000L. Wish it was bigger even before I filled it up...

Anyway what I found to be the best filtration on my pond, is a lot of water plants. Works the same as a scrubber in a way. Water crystal clean, 1 meter deep and I can see the dead land snails that fall into the pond lying on the bottom. Just ensure that the fish can not dig or suck or however they do it, remove all the dirt around the plant in the pot. Put pebbles in there.

My other filtration is a normal filter from Ultra-Zap. The one with bio-balls, sponges layers on top, and ultra-violet light. But they have a really big design flaw. That sponges really do not work. It is the crappiest idea ever. Have to wash them out every week.

So what I done is to get another Ultra-Zap unit, this one without the light fitting, overflow connections, and bio-balls. And I used 4 short hair like bristle things that fit in tightly inside it. So it is my pre-filter. Slightly higher. Water enter on top, I removed the spray bar, flow down, out and to top of next chamber. The spray bar on second unit, got extra holes because the water now runs on gravity instead of from a pump. Over the bio-balls, down out the bottom, pass the ultra violet globe and back into the pond.

And I only need to clean those big hair curlers every 4 months. Now that is low maintenance. And my water is always crystal clear.

17. Neil H

Riaan, have a look at the floating bead bed technology, i am building a DIY version of this for my pond ... about 9000L or call me to discuss its pretty cool

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes, was interested when I build by pond some years ago. The Nexus with "The Answer" fitted to it was then (most likely still is) the best filter setup available in the Koi industry. The volume of water it can handle is simply marvellous. It also uses the floating bead method, or Kaldness filter media (what they called it) - looks like some Italian noodles.

In many ways England and their ponds are years ahead of what is available to us in South Africa.

Only problem was the price. And it can handle a lot more water than my pond size.

Nexus Eazy Filter, Nexus Eazy Pod, Cetus Sieve, Kaldnes Media, EA ONE Koi Food, Evolution Aqua, Pond Filters, Pond Aerators, Pond Products, Lowest Prices Online, Free Shipping, 110% Best-Price Guarantee | NexusFilter.com

If you want some good plants for your pond when complete, let me know. They grow like mad.

19. Neil H

awesome Riaan, i will be in touch regarding the plants, thank you.... i agree, the price of the KOI stuff is madness, going to buy 50L of K1 material and DIY the filter, along with most of the rest of the stuff !

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You do get skimmers for freshwater, I know of 2, one is the Schuran Aquaflotor and the other one is a locally made one here - Ultra Zap. Not too sure if either of these would be suitable for a smallish fish tank though, I think they are meant more for big Koi ponds.

Recent Posts