protein skimmers

i hope so too.

I think i've got a serious problem if i read what you guys are on about cause i have a tiny Sander skimmer not sure on model and limited space cause tank is full inclosed and filter section at the back is only 100mm wide. what should i do?

oh and when does the cycle end and what is the cycle actually?
when can i get fish??

Hi Zuv - a skimmer is not an ABSOLUTE MUST, but, it does help that you can keep more challenging species of fish, anemone's and corals. A decent skimmer is also a "fail-safe" mechanism, to ensure that you don't loose ALL your lifestock, IF one fish decide to die in the night, and you don't know about it.....

You can still keep a successful marine aquarium, BUT, you WILL have to compensate for the lack of a decent sized skimmer.
You can compensate, by doing one of the following:
1) do water changes more often
2) create / add an algae scrubber - seach MASA for ATS or algae scrubber
3) feed less
4) keep less fish

The cycle being referred to, is the denitrification cycle. That is the process where the natural bacteria filtration of the tank, goes through the motions of getting the tank's water parameters, and nutrient levels, as low as can be, and also, as stable as can be.

Once these 0 (zero) levels, or ultra low levels have been reached, due to the working of the bacteria, then you can start adding lifestock.

the beast has arrived.....

18284a532d2c4ba9c.jpg

That's one serious skimmer there. When you firing it up?

That's one serious skimmer there. When you firing it up?

thanks guys.

will be firing up in the next couple months. waiting for renavations to start and finish, then gonna set up the tank.

Damn frustrating just having to stare at a piece of equipment like that

Damn frustrating just having to stare at a piece of equipment like that

you telling me...
im thinking of fulling the bath tub up:p

ok guys, so i had a bit of a problem regarding my overflow, i have an external over flow, where the bottom pane of glass cracked. so now i have got to options regarding skimmer instillation, which is best. firstly on the new pane of glass i drill a 25mm hole and plumb it straight into the skimmers input, and the out put will be in the fisrt chamber of the sump, or drill a 40mm hole like it had before, and use a feed pump in the fisrt chamber to feed the skimmer. im gonna be using +/- 2500 to 3000lph return pump on the system, so will the 25mm be able to handle this? or must i use 2 by 25mm pipes on the over flow, both with dursos? and between the two options, how would this affect the system?

I dont have skimmer like yours, but my overflow is plumbed directly into the skimmer. The skimmer then feeds out to the sump. I think quite a few guys have it setup like this.

anybody else? suggestions are welkom!

all my external skimmers run on a pump from the first chamer and it works much better for me...the reason why i dont like connecting a return pipe to feed my skimmer is that the big bubbles from the overflow mess up the smaller bubbles from the skimmer and then you dont get a even skim

This is what happend to my babble Blaster

So use two durso pipes for overlow(if the one gets clocked up then you have the second one that can help)

and feed the skimmer from the first chamber with a pump use a feed pump no mare than 1850l/h to feed the skimmer

all my external skimmers run on a pump from the first chamer and it works much better for me...the reason why i dont like connecting a return pipe to feed my skimmer is that the big bubbles from the overflow mess up the smaller bubbles from the skimmer and then you dont get a even skim

This is what happend to my babble Blaster

So use two durso pipes for overlow(if the one gets clocked up then you have the second one that can help)

and feed the skimmer from the first chamber with a pump use a feed pump no mare than 1850l/h to feed the skimmer

thanks man.

Back
Top Bottom