Protein Skimmer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This Forum looks brilliant......Guys I need your help regarding a Macro Aqua AS-350P Skimmer.

I`ve recently installed it on my 1450lt aquarium and I`m very confused.
I`m new to the marine game but most protein skimmers I saw have plenty of fine bubbles (skimming action).

The AS350P is not doing this, instead once it leaves the centre shaft it gives off larger bubbles then foaming commences.

I`m not sure if this is normal for needle wheel skimmers?

Please help.....

Hi friend a pic will do and is it external or internal if it is external you only need 700lts-900lts per hour to feed your skimmer and all skimmers takes @ least 4-5 days to brake in the bubbles can be fine tuned with your air line,a small plastic tap will make the bubbles finer

You should have rinsed your skimmer out with a light soap solution to remove the oily residue on the skimmer plastic but like Imarine said give it a few days to get going. It sounds like it's working properly but a pic will def help

Last edited:
Run it with warm water and vineger in your bath tub for a couple of hours...This will help to clean it out safely...

Welcome to MASA:wave2:

Since you have a marine tank & a skimmer it is compulsory to post pics even if the tank is bare bottom & you have 1 piece of live rock.

Welcome to MASA :)
Please post pics of the skimmer so we can make sure it is setup correctly.

A very WARM Welcome to MASA Arowana..... So - by choosing the name "arowana", I presume that you keep fresh water too? You like your arowana's! Hey! ;-)

Yeah - please post some pics of the skimmer, the sump, the water level of the skimmer, that tank, and all life stock!

Thanks man!

WELCOME AROWANA!!!

I Would Rather go for the warm water and vinegar route! Instead
of liqiud soap to rinse the skimmer! Soap A NO NO For me near
Marine!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your all your warm comments and welcomes especially Christo (like the bold red AROWANA).

Hi Jacquesb, Yes my current tank that I set up for marine used to be my Arowana tank until the male got to big and started smashing my slides.
My largest Arowana measured 1,3m.

I`ve been tropicals for 12 years now and after I started breading Arowanas I thought there was not much for me to do but to start marines.

I have also built a 25 000 lt aquarium outside my house with a concrete structure with 3 huge windows.
I`m hoping to make it cold water marine (Cape anemones etc)

I found the problem and it was 1) The water level (2) The air nossel was not inserted correctly.......its skimming like crazy now. see pic.

Last edited:
I have also built a 25 000 lt aquarium outside my house with a concrete structure with 3 huge windows.
I`m hoping to make it cold water marine (Cape anemones etc)
Ok, I just lost total interest in your skimmer problems :tt2: :D You have to tell us more about this beast :thumbup:

The arowanas that you bred would it be the Scleropages formosus or the Osteoglossum bicirrhosum?

Hi HenkHugo,

Osteoglossum.they are the easiest bred in captivity.
All you have to do is put a few medium/large sized Arowanas in a large aquarium and once you have two of them circling(one below one on top), you must remove the others and limit movement outside the tank as they are very nervous.Within 2 to 5 days the female will drop 18 to 35 eggs and the male will fertilize them and then collect them in his mouth.At this stage you must remove the female because my personal experience, she sometimes bites the male until he releases the eggs and she consumes them. But nothing is more pleasing than seeing the babies being released by daddy with their small little yog sacks.

Back
Top Bottom