Protein skimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bong, 21 Feb 2012.

1. Bong

Bong

His guys my sump level has now been raised quite substantially and the skimmer refuses to create any skimmate. How essential is this piece of equipment, as now i have turned it off (makes a lot of noise). Got ample live rock and just 5 small fish. Total volume about 300 litres.

What say ye :p

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

We need some more info.

How long has the tank been running?
    What skimmer is it?

Remember a skimmer will only skim if there are DOCS (dissolved organic compounds) to remove. It will also not skim immediately if new as it needs a "break in" period. It will also top working when you put your hands in the tank.

In my opinion it is an essential piece of equipment, although you can run a tank without one, but then your other maintenance will increase to keep nutrients in check, eg an algae scrubber, more and larger water changes, etc

4. Bong

Bong Thread Starter

Tank been running for several months, its a berlin skimmer with bigger pump attached. It was working fine but now iv switch my sump to an overflow method ( i used to have a pump to get the water to my second sump) this raised the water level so it doesnt skim anymore. Live sand developing nicely now as well as some purple growth on the glass. I am struggling to control the brown diatoms added phosphate absorbing media but still needs a good scrub on glass every few days.

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I don't have experience with those, let's wait for someone else to give input.

Recent Posts