Protein skimmer waste

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by 519franco, 23 Oct 2011.

1. 519franco

519franco

i want to ask you guys know about the pipe that the skimmers waste runs though into a cup or something... i want to ask if i can put cleaning srimp, crabs to filter out that waste so i can reuse the water

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

why do you want to reuse the water?it will kill whatever you put in there? do you skim wet? you shouldnt have liters of water in the cup everyday. definitely not enough to reuse. but I wouldnt reuse the water.

4. 519franco

519franco Thread Starter

iam still building up my tank and just finding out ways to keep my water level constant for a longer period of time

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Definately cant do this...that "water" is almost pure waste product...if u are getting too much skimate, rather skim dryer and u will get a thicker sludgier buildup...also wont use up as much tank water.

Are you topping up with RO water? Are u using an Auto Top Up? This will keep your water lvl constant if you are not using one.

6. 519franco

519franco Thread Starter

iam still buildin my tank up what is a skimate and what is a skim dryer

Last edited: 23 Oct 2011
  7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

skimmate is the name for the waste material that collects in your skimmer cup.

The question is not what is A skim dryer, but rather what is dry skimming or how do I skim dry.

Basically you can get 2 different types of skimmate by adjusting your skimmer they are as follows:

Dry skim = bubbles/foam
    Wet skim = Mostly water

Ideally you want to dry skim as this removes mainly waste from your system while wet skimming removes mainly water from your system.

8. 519franco

519franco Thread Starter

thanks

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

To dry skim keep your water level lower in the neck of your skimmer this will result in mainly foam going over the lip into the cup resulting in thicker darker skimmate as I said before.

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

But you can feed skim mate to corals? Can't you?

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Like if u dehydrate it? I saw an article once where they did that...not to feed corals but to work out the exact make up of the skimmate.

Although I dont see why you couldnt "feed" your corals with it, I would be at a loss to think why you would, as all you would be doing is pouring the stuff you have just removed from your system back into it. I know once or twice when I have forgotten to clean the skimmer cup and its overflowed back into the system some of my soft and lps corals have looked very happy :p

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

100%

Skimmers are meant to remove the excess from our aquariums that the corals and "bio filter" cannot remove due to the input of nutrients. This from feeding and coral and fish processes.

In a controlled manner, Why not replace the nitrates and phosphates corals require from the skimmer waste. Hmmm.....

It boils down to balancing your system to the nitrate consumption of the corals. the more you have the bigger nitrate production one needs. the problem is that most aqueria produce more nitrate than the corals require.

Balance is the key.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2011
  13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I like your thinking there and it does make perfect sense...definately a cheaper alternative to buying these liquid coral foods on the market.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do you recycle your household waste water?
    No throw it away. It is not that much water anyway. Trouble to clean it is more than the cupful of water you have to replace. Sure, a bit of salt do go to waste, but seriously, that is not that much.

15. 519franco

519franco Thread Starter

true

16. Seabass

Seabass

I use my thick skimmate to feed my outside plants and bonsai, mixed with a bit of tap water and Bobs your uncle.

Recent Posts