Protein Skimmer- Tuning? BL 550

Reaction score
Hi All,

So set up tank yesterday, all running and happy to get it going.

I have removed bio balls and ceramic rings- added floss, carbon and purigen and also a seio m820 powerhead.

Trying to get some LR today- My question is how do I "tune" the protein skimmer- what should I look for? focus on- How do i know its woprking properly etc. I dont have a clue where to start.

Thanks for the help

Mike

Hi Mike,

You want to adjust that airline valve in order to get some bubbles/foam to slowly make it's way up the chamber. If you open it too big you'll be skimming super wet and you'll need to empty that little cup a few times a day. I've got mine so that the foam just slowly makes its way up the centre. I then only have to empty my cup every second day and then the skimate is fairly dark.

Hope this helps...

Mike,

Jaak's given you spot on advice.

Just a note : In the first few weeks your skimmer is not going to be producing a lot of foam/skimmate . This is due to two reasons:

1. The bioload is very low
2. The skimmer has a "break-in" period of a week or so before it will start producing a rich foam head.

You may need to adjust the skimmer again once your cycle is finished to account for changes in the above stated points.

For now , I'd adjust it as per Jaak's advice and just keep an eye on how it develops over the next few weeks or so.

LOL @ dallas!!:lol::lol::lol:

Dallas I asked the skimmer and he replied "schweet lekker"... go figure

haha

on a serious note :) just adjust the air intake, venturi, until u find a setting that u comfortable with, in the beginning u can run it dry as the bio-load wont be much, and as u keep adding livestock make small adjustments until u achieve a balance

Back
Top Bottom