Protein Skimmer- Tuning? BL 550

MikeR

Bristleworm
Reaction score
Hi All,

So set up tank yesterday, all running and happy to get it going.

I have removed bio balls and ceramic rings- added floss, carbon and purigen and also a seio m820 powerhead.

Trying to get some LR today- My question is how do I "tune" the protein skimmer- what should I look for? focus on- How do i know its woprking properly etc. I dont have a clue where to start.

Thanks for the help

Mike

Jaak

Foxface
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

You want to adjust that airline valve in order to get some bubbles/foam to slowly make it's way up the chamber. If you open it too big you'll be skimming super wet and you'll need to empty that little cup a few times a day. I've got mine so that the foam just slowly makes its way up the centre. I then only have to empty my cup every second day and then the skimate is fairly dark.

Hope this helps...

Apollo

Clownfish
Reaction score
Mike,

Jaak's given you spot on advice.

Just a note : In the first few weeks your skimmer is not going to be producing a lot of foam/skimmate . This is due to two reasons:

1. The bioload is very low
2. The skimmer has a "break-in" period of a week or so before it will start producing a rich foam head.

You may need to adjust the skimmer again once your cycle is finished to account for changes in the above stated points.

For now , I'd adjust it as per Jaak's advice and just keep an eye on how it develops over the next few weeks or so.

dallasg

Reaction score

Jaak

Foxface
Reaction score
LOL @ dallas!!:lol::lol::lol:

MikeR

Bristleworm
Reaction score
Dallas I asked the skimmer and he replied "schweet lekker"... go figure

dallasg

Reaction score
haha

on a serious note :) just adjust the air intake, venturi, until u find a setting that u comfortable with, in the beginning u can run it dry as the bio-load wont be much, and as u keep adding livestock make small adjustments until u achieve a balance