Protein Skimmer for 750 ltr system

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by coralline, 10 Jan 2012.

1. coralline

coralline

Hi guys,

Does anyone out there have a good protein skimmer (internal) which will run a 750 ltr system (moderatly stocked), but the problem is that it needs to be no more than 50 cm tall, and have a foot print of no more than 24 X 50 cm. this will be in-sump, the water level in the skimmer compartment will be 25cm deep.

The relatively restricted height of my sump cabinet is a major issue for me, and I have no space to put an external skimmer. If it helps, I'll post a thread to show the tank design etc.

I've seen some Skimz, Tunze and Reef Octopus skimmers which look 'short' enough to fit, so if anyone has a suitable one to sell, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to attempt a DIY skimmer, but I don't feel like endless hours of tinkering and fiddling only to eventually give up and buy one anyway:lol:.

Thanks ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef-O

Reef-O

I got a Via Aqua hang on skimmer for sale..

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Not for a 750L tank you dont.

5. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Ive got an ATB Deluxe Internal and a Deltec TC2060 External Skimmer for sale...
    Both in excellent condition but height mght be an issue for you...

Google them both for dimensions IF you interested...

6. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Thanks Ridwaan,butboth appear to be too tall.

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

theres nothing thats specced to your system thats so short that i have come across, u may need to build a custom one or have it external and build a seperate cabinet for it.

Give a pic or 3 we can see the issue that u facing

8. crispin

crispin

i would seriously advise to look at external skimmers if height is such an issue rather than battling with DIY skimmers etc. Lots of great external skimmers you could look at and then u know they are going to work.

9. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

@ziyaadb: thanks for the input - I'll take some pics and upload them to tank build thread.Been meaning to start a thread anyway;)
    @crispin: thanks for the advice. I'm quite happy to use an external, the only problem is the situation of my tank in the house... There's no space either side of the tank! I know it sounds like I've got loads of issues/complications, but you'll see from the pics when I upload them!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

cool stuff post the pics and lemme see, there is always a way to get a skimmer in

11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I think only the tunze skimmers would fit this profile. Other than that take cripins advice and get an external skimmer.

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

I actually forgot all about Tunze, The only one i would suggest for a 750L display tank if moderately stocked would be the 9420 as a minimum but that is 58cm high, Other option would be 2*9410's but the cost of 2 would be too much in comparison to some of the other better performing skimmers that you can get for that same money but it would do the job if you have no choice

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

What about?

DOC Skimmer 9021.
    (9021.000)

Recommended for aquariums up to 2,100 litres (554 USgal.) of seawater, Dimensions: L 125 x W 113 x H 460 mm,

14. zs1adc

zs1adc

@coralline - I bought a aquaexcel model ae1001 some time back and it may just fit - 52cm high and a footprint of 21x21cm

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Same as 2 9410's i dont like them because they dont really have much dwell time and i think its a kak design but they do push 1300lph air and that should be enough,

16. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Guys, thanks so much for your input and time - I'm going to take some photos tonight and post tomorrow...
    I also just realised that if the skimmer cup didn't need a lot of room to be removed from the skimmer body (i.e. not lift up and off, but rather tiny lift/turn and slide off) then I could maybe push the skimmer height to about 55cm. I think that might accommodate an AquaMedic SL1000, as recommended by Leslie H (in an email).

17. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Thanks - did you import it or buy locally? Nice looking skimmer, and specs are impressive considering the size...

18. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Nice skimmer, and IMHO you can't really go wrong with Tunze, but kinda pricy.
    Thanks though;)

19. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

That AM SL1000 will be a wee bit small for a 750L display IMO but as long as you have other means of Exporting nutrients(lotsa waterchanges, Cheato,) it should be fine

20. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Hi Ziyaadb (and others),
    As requested,and promised, here are some pics to demonstrate my quandry...
    As you'll see, I connected 2 old sumps with 3 X 50mm pipes instead of building a new one. The cabinet is quite low/small and with the base it only allows me 56cm from the bottom of the sump tank (1st chamber) to the floor of the display tank (inside cabinet). Sump A chamber 1 is described in my first post (above). If the skimmer collection cup didn't need much space to lift off (like a screw off/on Deltec cup) then the skimmer could maybe stand 55cm tall and that could work. Ceramic pieces in chamber 1 were matured and helping this new tank to cycle (this chamber will only house skimmer, and maybe a reactor), same goes for Bioballs in 2nd last chamber (this will be a macro algae refugium with light,after the 2 DSBs; to be set up in next week or 2)

OK, enough babbling...:p

21. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Having a blonde moment uploading pics! Will try again now.
    Pictures show at top of screen when uploaded, but not in thread. Must I savethem into an album and then link to that album. Trying to do this at work, so not the easiest!

Last edited: 20 Jan 2012
Recent Posts