Protein skimmer for 113L?

Reaction score
Hi there.

What brand name protein skimmer will be good for a 113? I've read that some like 'Fission nano' are a waste of money. I want something good but at the same time not something i'm going to pay like R600-R1000.
Tnx for any info!

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Sabi - welcome to MASA! Unfortunately skimmers are quite expensive - the skimmers you can look at for nano's are hang-on skimmers - there are some manufactured by Reef Octopus, or ReefTek, as well as Tunze makes a small hang-on skimmer....

BUT, unfortunately the down-side is the pricing - they are ALL in the R900 to R1200 range...

Send a PM to Eco Aquatics to ask him for pricing......

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
masahello SABI nice to see a PE boy here

Look at the Reeftek TS1 they are R890 I think. Look in the Eco Aquatics forum:thumbup:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
OOps - I forgot about that one - BUT then again - Sabi - do you have a sump where the TS1 can fit into? I presumed that seeing that you have a 113 litre tank - this being a "nano type tank"....

Reaction score
OOps - I forgot about that one - BUT then again - Sabi - do you have a sump where the TS1 can fit into? I presumed that seeing that you have a 113 litre tank - this being a "nano type tank"....
Thanks for the fast replies!
To be honest i'm a mere beginner in SW. I just ordered the tank + equipment today and hopefully will get it by monday. However i wanted to get more info the protein skimmer so i joined here. No i dont have a sump and 'nano' from the little know is a err...square tank? But no its going to be a rectangular, i think (my dad went to order the stuff).

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Reef Octopus make a hang on nano skimmer, Henk Hugo is running one, maybe he will chip in here and let us know a bit about it's performance and value for money.

Reaction score
masahello SABI nice to see a PE boy here

Look at the Reeftek TS1 they are R890 I think. Look in the Eco Aquatics forum:thumbup:
Thanks, i'm having a look at it now. Well its nice to see someone from PE too, but one thing, I'm a girl!:)

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, i'm having a look at it now. Well its nice to see someone from PE too, but one thing, I'm a girl!:)
'
OOPS sorry my mistake, A lady reefer kewl, ANGRY (my wife) is a semi avid reefer too:thumbup::thumbup:

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Henk, quite a nice, neat little skimmer. Get rid of the silencer though, get a tad more air in there ;)

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
]
Just out of curiosity, where/what is the silencer?

This is a reeftek, right? how much did you pay?
The silencer does exactly what is says it quietens the airflow into the skimmer, this is a hang on back Reeftek, I speak under correction but I think they are about R1400

65479aff936bf79.jpg

Reaction score
The silencer does exactly what is says it quietens the airflow into the skimmer, this is a hang on back Reeftek, I speak under correction but I think they are about R1400

65479aff936bf79.jpg
Ah thanks, couldn't make out the where the silencer was.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sabi - COOL! That's the problem here on MASA with the interesting user nick-names - we cannot always see whether someone is male or female ;-)

I originally said between R900 and R1200 (this is a thumb-suck). Best would be to ask Henk how much he paid - or alternatively, send a PM (private message) to Andrew (user nick: eco aquatics or millepora).... He is one of the sponsors here on the web-site - is the supplier of the ReefTek and ReefTek hang-on skimmers, alternatively, Aquality (anther sponsor) supplies the Reef Octopus range, who also makes a hang-on skimmer.

The term "nano" refers to the amount of water your tank holds. Anything below +-150 litres (I think? fellow reefers - correct me if I am wrong) are coined a "nano tank". Below 30 litres (again - me thinks), is coined a "pico tank"....