Proposed TS 2 Mod

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Neil H, 24 Jan 2011.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I am thinking about doing a complete mod on my TS2 and am interested in opinions !

I have been looking at MANY skimmers with regards the drop off, where the total water volume will be approximately 1400L

I have noticed the following
    • the application of a water volume to a skimmer seems to be based on gut feel more than a concrete science..... if there is a formula behind it then i can not find it.
    • There seeeems to be very little consistency with respect to the volume of the skimmer, the rating of the pump or the volume of the tank it is supposed to skim
    • While the amount of air that is drawn in through the pump is critical, very little info is populated about various pumps throughput
    There should be some sort of connection, some sort of ratio between these numbers, especially if they are in fact related .......

if i look at my TS2, it is highly comparable to the skimmer sizes of skimmers rated to much higher volumes ! the main difference is two fold, 1 the size of the pump of the skimmers rated to 3000L are much bigger and 2 the bigger skimmers are almost withough exception, re-circulating.

SO here is what i am thinking about and would like your opinions on......

I plan on replumbing the intake on my OTP2000 that feeds my TS2 and making this a recirculating pump. the outlet will remain the same but a second pump will be attached as a feed pump. I will also insert a bubble plate.

Should the skimmer work i would upgrade the otp2000 to an HY2000 or even an HY3000 for energy efficiency !

My guess is that this recirculating bubble plate skimmer would be rated to 1200 - 1500 L depending on what my throughput rate ends up being

I am interested in everyones opinion !

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Neil the skimmer is after all just a vessel and you will no doubt get waste production from your proposed design no matter what you do :). I see your dilema with ratings as in our discussions its a tricky thumbsuck area with no real science behind it.

in the past the bigger the reaction chamber it was believed the better the bond of protein, or time to bond and the better the skimmer would perform, but i think alot of other factors come into play, such as how often you clean the neck of the skimmer in order for it to allow less friction on aged caked dirt and better dirt capture,

there is alot to consider and im looking forward to seeing your results.

good luck

4. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Thanks man, may get the fittings for this today when i get the drop off fittings !

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

be careful if you drill the skimmer body.

6. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

I would melt the holes, not drill them !

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

why its acyrillic, i drill it all the time

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

older body, especially if ozone been used, might be brittle.

Recent Posts