Proposed Sump

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by moz, 21 Mar 2008.

1. moz

moz

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Looks nice Moz, I would drop hight of the 2 x 275mm panes to say 200, just leaves more space for water to back siphon when the pump stops

err whats the raceway for?

4. moz

moz Thread Starter

Might use it as a algae scrubber.

5. Muz

Muz

Sorry.. I don't understand the raceway idea..

I dont know if I agree with Kanga about dropping the 275 to as low as 200.. if your DSB is gonna be around 160 that only leavs 4cm of water flowing over the DSB, depending on how big your return pump is, that could cause a rush of water over the DSB.. that being said he does have a point. Maybe make the sump 400 / 425 deep if you have the space, you can still use 6mm glass.. use a 10mm base and remember, sumps need polystyrene as well.

6. moz

moz Thread Starter

The principle is similar to that of coil denitrification. With a coil you have a larger area for contact with the anaerobic bacteria. The real difference with the raceway or mixing race is that you use a macro algae. The baffles increase the contact time with the algae allowing for better nutrient removal. A similar process is used at the end of some waste water treatment works for chlorination, the raceway allows for an increased contact time with the chlorine, allowing for better disinfection. The same principle can also be used for UV sterilization.
    Hope that answers your question.

7. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

I was thinking of a similar design except the raceway extends right down into the
    DSB area.

Is this a problem with the amount of water flowing over the DSB, Do some critters in the DSB prefer relaxed flow. If the DSB was as wide as the sump then there would be some quite areas in the DSB to escape the flow.

Recent Posts