Proposed Quarantine Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Meneer, 5 Apr 2011.

1. Meneer

Meneer

I was thinking of having this tank drilled, overflow added
    and a sump inserted in the cabinet.

To be used as quarantine/frag tank.

What will I be able to keep in the tank if I want to use it for that purpose.

With sump it should be around 70 to 80 litres (Tank is 48 Litres)

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Good idea. It's always good to quarantine your new additions before adding them to your display tank. Trust me. I've learned the hard way. The very hard way. i lost all my fish, except 3, to an outbreak of Brooklynella. It's a devastating disease.

I would suggest a permanent QT tank. Worry about frags at a much later stage. When your corals are growing big enough for you to warrant fragging them. QT is vitally important. Contrary to what some members will have you believe.

4. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

Thanks.

What filtration would you suggest, and what should I put in the dt part?

The cabinet is quite high, so I thought about putting in 2 sumps on top of each other.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nope, no sump. Just more place white spot Tomonts (or eggs) can settle down and incubate.

I would rather rely on 25% water changes every second to third day. It is only a 48L tank. So it is only 12 L.

Just create a method where you can slowly add the new water. Very slowly, like for 40 to 60 minutes. Then you can do up to 50% water changes. You should take water from your display and use that as the new water. Then top up your display with new saltwater.

Use some PVC pipe and a small powerhead and heater. That it. If you want to quarantine corals, then you need a light unit.

6. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

Maybe I must use another tank then for a quarantine. It seems a waste to use this one. I would then rather sell this one or swop it for a bigger skimmer or something, or make a nano out of it.

7. Achilles

Achilles

a bucket or food grade container from 20 litres to 40 litres is a much better Quarantine vessel than a tank get 2 of them and move the fish to fresh Sea water every 48 hours into a new bucket. Equipment needed small pump/airstone, heater, thermometer. Feed sparingly and provide some pipes for the fish to hide in or for shelter.

this allows you to sterilize the buckets after you move the fish by drying them out and also breaks the life cycle of parasites that dont live constantly on the fish, this is a very good Q method can be used with medicine if necessary and makes treating much easier but you need reserve salt water to do this method either from main tank and top up with new water there as you use it in the buckets. 10 -14 days with this method is usually sufficient, if you dont have the time to move fish every 48 hours do not use this method ,ammonia will build up and it wont break disease cycle! it is also best to Q only small fish with this method unless a very large container can be found for big ones.:thumbup:

archiecrain likes this.
  8. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Quarentines are excellent an huge load of extra work lol, tried it an dropped it cause of the workload involved....... I say quarentine if u wanting to have expensive fish... I quarentined both my regal and flame angel, they did fine, ate normal, acted normal an hardly parasites, even freshwater dipped them b4 adding, 1 week in display an they had whitespot so, no real prevention hey, quarentine or not, if the fish decides to get sick it I will

9. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

Ok - but how do you treat them once they are sick? - Isn't the meds dangerous to the rest of the tank?

10. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Well u do get reef and invert safe meds, u should jus make the lfs aware of it...... Otherwise if you go quarentine method, once again, u will have to take the fish out, which is even more stress for the fish an you cause you might hav2 take the tank apart to catch the fish disturbing everything else..... An 2 be even more honest, most meds don't work, an the ones that do is shit expensive, rather try and find the source of the sickness an sort it out from there, make life a hell of a lot easier an money spending a lot less

Recent Posts