Proposed New Setup - Comments, Advice?

moz

Reaction score
This is a preliminary design for my new system, original idea was for a cube, but when I modeled it into my house I changed my mind.

22848c3ecc6be8bf.jpg

22848c3ed1376d07.jpg

Display Tank:
2200x750x700 high
Overflow 600 high x 200 wide
Surge/wave 2 sides of overflow
10 holes for CLS

22848c3ed360e232.jpg

Sump:
800x600x400 high
Chamber 1 (Skimmer): 400x300x200 high
Chamber 2 (Fuge): 600x400x150 high
Chamber 3 (Return, Chemical): 400x300x200 high

2x50 liter drums for RDSB

I plan on setting it up in phases:

Phase 1:
Display, Sump (OCTX-200 skimmer), 2 RDSB Drums, phosphate reactor, Activated Charcoal

Phase 2:
Add external Skimmer (Rated 1500l)
Kalk Stirrer/Carbon Reactor

Any comments, improvements?

moz

Reaction score
Excellent design! I would rather go slightly lower like 600H. Better for light penetration aswell as working in the tank.
What water level height would you suggest? I'd like a bit of space at the top to allow for waves/surge.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
this looks very interesting nice one Ian..

as for the holes be careful they could pose a problem to the structural integrity of the base..
nice choice of skimmer what wat the second one you had in mind? just curious.

im not a fan of the .700 height but will say that it is an awsome height for viewing just difficult to access. i hated my tank because of it.. my suggestion consider even .650... it makes a big difference.

more water capacity the more stable things like temp etc.. consider sims suggestion for bigger drums..

otherwise sweet plan bud, im sure a huge budget is already pre approvel my the minister of finance.

moz

Reaction score
This is a rough idea of what will happen under the tank. Stand 40mm square tubing, the 2 small green drums are my RDSB, the large green drum is 100 drum for easy water change, the black box is the chiller, between the sump and large drum is the external skimmer, the other coloured transparent boxes are calcium reactor, phosphate reactor and kalk stirrer (If anybody as drawing of these I’ll model them).

FullTank.jpg

moz

Reaction score
Wife Approval Factor:)
The way I see it, is that I have two choices wife or tank, and the tank doesn't talk back. Being a bachelor has advantages, all the money's mine :razz:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Moz - WOW man.... this is REALLY something else! Really well thought out.

Everyone is commenting on the height of the display tank. What lighting were you planning on using?

Otherwise - REALLY awesome design.... please keep us updated. BTW - for the wave-maker effect - you are most likely going to use the DIY thread that Matt created, right? The same that I want to do? I suggest that you make holes in those 2 partitions then, for the pump's outlets.... what pump were you planning on using for the "wavemaker"?

moz

Reaction score
Hi Moz - WOW man.... this is REALLY something else! Really well thought out.

Everyone is commenting on the height of the display tank. What lighting were you planning on using?

Otherwise - REALLY awesome design.... please keep us updated. BTW - for the wave-maker effect - you are most likely going to use the DIY thread that Matt created, right? The same that I want to do? I suggest that you make holes in those 2 partitions then, for the pump's outlets.... what pump were you planning on using for the "wavemaker"?
As for the height, the top of my current system is 1.7m off the floor, so I'm used to using a ladder when working in my tank. For the Lights I was thinking of using 3X250 MH with a few T5 Acintics. I am planning on using Matt's DIY thread, if you look at the pic, you will see I did allow for holes in the partitions. As for pumps I haven't yet given that much thought, the controllable tunze's are an option, although I might need to look for something less pricey (will still need to afford livestock), any suggestions?

moz

Reaction score
I would go 550 on the water level.
So are you suggesting, that I leave the tank at 700mm, and have the overflow 550mm?

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
rather minupulate the height of the stand to achieve a pleasant viewing height rather than battle with a .700 tank depth.

Reaction score
this is going to be a very nice thread to follow.

tagging along.

good luck man, keep us posted and the pics rolling:thumbup: