Proposed Licences

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Corry, 2 Feb 2010.

1. Corry

Corry

Hi All,

I am on the South African Underwater Fishing Federation committee and we handle all matters relating to spearfishing in SA.

We have just gotten wind of a gazette to increase licence fees massivley for all matters realted to taking from the ocean.

Those of you that catch your own specimens will have to pay significantly more and those like me who do that plus spearfish plus crayfish plus everything else is going to be in for a few thousand.

I would urge as many to join SAUFF (R100 p/year) so that we can have numbers to fight this. Go to www.saspearoranking.co.za and look under the heading SAUFF registration.

Alternatively PM more more details or to get a copy of the gazette.

Good diving,
    Corry

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Andreas

Andreas

Why, are their BM's not good enough anymore?:nono:

Not good news, unless they plan on improving policing around the coastal areas to catch the guys who deplete our ocean's resources;)

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

Does it help to go and renew our permits from the post office now or will this be null and void soon - as it supposed to be valid for a year

5. Corry

Corry Thread Starter

You will still get it "cheap" this year, but probably from next year not. So it is inevitable that you will pay more eventually.

6. Corry

Corry Thread Starter

Don't be too sure those are their motives. Take the ban on perlemoen collection by recreationals. This was done to stop the poaching problem.

All good????

REcreationals weren't the ones poaching and chances are the poachers didn't have licences anyways.

But the recreationals would report any poachers as they were trying to conserve their stocks for future now were banned and thus less eyes to report poachers. see where this is going?

A few months ago a senior ANC official was chased and caught with about a tonne of perlemoen in an ANC vehicle. THe usual threats to cops were made and even yes, you guessed the race card was played. Insofar I know, that case still has not gone to court and probably never will.

All the MPA's are not for conservation but for the authorities to charge poeople to use them. Look at the whole Vidal area. That will basically become inaccesible to South africans unles you willing to pay big bucks.

MCM is bankrupt and where are all those "officials" going to get money to embezzle next year.

That's right, all those new fees.

So don't expect the

7. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I see that this is also being discussed on the SCUBA mail-list that I belong to....

9. lIghty

lIghty

Its a load OK crok, maybe I should apply for an ancestral subsistence permit or something, typical story, rape those who do pay pay for their permits, and do nothing about those who don't....... same like the TV licenses, they what to charge people a % of there pay, so I guess when that happens the "unemployment rate" will go through the roof.... is country is a joke!

10. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

11. shane

shane

Hi Guys,
    In todays Daily News paper there is an article about the proposed fishing licences.
    There is talk about a 500% increase in fees. I quote " If the proposed hikes are approved,the fees for a permit to catch crayfish will soar 488%, from R85 to R500, and that for an angling licence from R65 to R200." end quote
    Cheers

12. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

13. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Steve, that link isn't working. I think unless a huge fuss is made of this proposed increase we may just end up paying for the ministers new mercedes S class . . . Really, unless you complain, you are approving it. It's time to stand up against those who clearly don't know what they're talking about !

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

I think the increases are warranted.

15. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Fee for Recreational angling application R30
    SCUBA Diving in MPA R85
    West Coast Rock Lobster R500
    East Coast Rock Lobster R500
    Molluscs R300
    Mud Crab R300
    Marine Aquarium Fish R300
    Angling R200
    Spearfishing R300
    Throw Net R300
    Additional fee per vessel for Recreational fishing (skipper) R500
    Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustrantur if you think it is warranted. Why do you think it is warranted?

Last edited: 8 Feb 2010
  16. Warr7207

Warr7207

R200 ($26 US) is very reasonable when you consider I could collect over 1000 fish in a 12 month period, making each fish cost 20c each.

17. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

You are looking at it as if that is all you do. It would also be R330. Most hobbyists will
    a) Not be catching every single day.
    b) In many cases are actually restricted to a seasonal collecting period.
    c) Not going to be catching 1000 fish in a year even if they had the opportunity and if by some miracle they did are either selling them or should not be keeping marines as they would most likely be killing them through bad husbandry in any case.
    d) If they have the skills and interest in collecting and keeping marines are also interested in other permits such as molluscs R300, pushing the bill up to R530.
    If they also like angling; R730. In my case also spearfishing R1030, fishing off a vessel R1530; I like to have the EC rock lobster and mud crab permits just in case I see one or two so that I can take them legally if I happen to be lucky enough, possibly collecting two crabs and two or three crays in a year (maybe eight crays if I go to Transkei and the season is open. Pushing it up to R2430. I probably spearfish less than 10 times a year and being selective don't even shoot a fish each time even if they are size, often because it may be a resident reef fish which is under fishing pressure.
    My youngest son has just finished school and I pay his permits, I do not use a throw net, but he does so add R300 to make his R2730
    R5160.00 Total

18. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

This will also affect sales of fishing tackle, nets, diving gear, bait, affect how often and where people will take their holidays, etc. Thus affecting coastal villages and towns that depend on tourists in places such as the Wild Coast collecting marines and fishing. Even Dive shops and fishing tackle shops will feel the pinch. Quarium shops will also probably feel a drop in sales as I believe those hobbyists that catch their own fish will most likely by more live stock and products when they are most interested and that is often (rightly or wrongly) when they are catching fish.

19. Warr7207

Warr7207

Even at R 5k one kingi will make it worth It. If some one is wanting all the permits you are listing then they either are making money from it or have the funding to collect all these different creatures.
    R 200 is still cheap even for one collection. An angel, trigger, snail, hermit, and a tang would be way cheaper than a lfs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

20. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

:huh::banghead:

I don't think you read it properly. R5160.00 Total not R300 (actually R330)
    I stay in PE not Joburg, going to the sea is part of many people's lives when they live on the coast. It used to be free, then a licence fee was needed for some activities. They do not just catch marine fish, they may also fish, eat seafood that they collect themselves, etc. It does not mean they necessarily earn a big salary. Some may not earn a salary at all or very little.

21. Warr7207

Warr7207

Relax dude. If you can't afford something then don't do it. Just the same as everything in life. Accept it everything increases in price.

IMO the licenses are way to cheap.

Recent Posts