Proposed fish list

moz

Reaction score
Would some of the experts please comment on my proposed fish list, can my tank handle the amount of fish, what order should they be added and are there any possible clashes. The Bicolour Blennie is already in the tank and doing well. My display is 1200long x 430wide x 640high, total volume of water with sump about 400l, skimmer TS2, sump has DSB. And the tank is a reef tank.

1 x Bicolour Blennie (Ecsenius bicolor)
2 x Clown (Amphiprion ocellaris or Amphiprion percula)
1 x Convict Tang (Acanthurus triostegus)
1 x Jumping Bean (Centropyge acanthops)
1 x Coral Beauty (Centropyge bispinosa)
1 x Spotted Tang (Zebrasoma gemmatum) or Doubleband surgeonfish (Acanthurus tennentii)

I would choose between the tangs, your tank is quite narrow and the tangs like a lot of swimming space, you may get away with 2 juvies but as they grow you may have space issues.

The rest look fine to me if you add them slowly but get more opinions.

What will you add with regards to clean up crew like shrimps, snails, starfish etc

Muz

Just make sure about adding more than one tang - heard they are very territorial, will work in a big tank, but in a 4foot - not so sure. What does the experts say?

What will you add with regards to clean up crew like shrimps, snails, starfish etc

At the moment I have 3 yellow footed hermits, 1 unknown (sandshifting) hermit and a about 15 local snail (a number of different types added for algae control)

Sounds fine, there shouldn't be any problems between the tangs, they are 2 totally different tangs and both fairly docile fish.
Having said that, my only reservation is the size of the tank for the tangs, personally and i do stress personally i do do not feel tangs should go into a tank under 1.8m in length as they are fish that enjoy swimming JMO.

Thanks Alan, ok I'll think about the tangs maybe only 1 tang, are there any smaller than the convict and spotted?

Hi Moz - The spotted / Gemmatum tang is EXTREMELY scarce, unless you are lucky enough to be able to catch one yourself - IF you find them in the trade they go for about R3500 to R5000 each....
That said - I would say a MAXIMUM of 1 tang in your size tank. Perhaps look at the bristletooth/chocolate tangs, or perhaps yellow/blue doctor tangs.... They stay relatively small..... The powder blue and powder brown tangs stress VERY easily and get whitespot /marine ich far too easily/quickly - I would think....

Back
Top Bottom