Propogating an Ritteri Anemone H. Magnifica

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Selwyn123, 30 Sep 2011.

1. Selwyn123

Selwyn123 BakGat

Hi guys, can this be done? If so, how?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Getting them to survive long term in an aquarium is already a challenge. Attempting to frag them is not advised.

4. FransSny

FransSny

Doubt if it can be done ...Calfo claimed to have done it, unfortunately no pics to prove it. Remember anyone can ppost a pic of a cutting board and a blade...seeing them 6 months down the line is a whole new kettle of fish....or nennie :p

5. Selwyn123

Selwyn123 Thread Starter BakGat

Hi guys, thanks for the info. Any ideas then on force splitting? Has anyone tried the rubberband method?

6. FransSny

FransSny

Answered you in a PM

7. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

That sounds horrible man! I would imagine the nennie would probably die before it splits! why in the first place do you want to split it?

8. Selwyn123

in the case it gets to big for my tank. I do not want it to get harmed/harm my other nennies when it gets too big.

9. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

personally, I would leave it be, if it gets too big, maybe then sell/swap it but but I would seriously think twice about fragging it....
    my 2c

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Fragging those anemones is extremly difficult and has a very very low success rate. Cutting i will also require a dedicated setup. Rather look at upgrading to a larger tank or selling it should it get too big for your system. Keeping more than one anemone in a tank that size might also cause problems.

gMAN likes this.
  11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

12. Anemone

Anemone

It has been done, but with a poor survival rate. I don't recommend it.

13. Anemone

Anemone

:lol:

FransSny likes this.
  14. Selwyn123

Hi guys. i read an article and Dr Ron Schimek claimed to have done it my simply cutting through the mouth. My anemone is growing well in the tank now so this is what i am going to do: I will first wait for the anemone to naturally split as the other night when i changed lighting it showed signs of splitting, but returned back to normal. A month after it splits i will cut it right through the middle. I will take pics of the progress as proof whether or not it can be done. If things turn for the worse i will still have a ritteri that can continue to grow in the tank.

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That is impossible, when an anemone shows signs of splitting there is no way it can stop, what you more than likely saw was the anemone simply deflate itself and then return back to normal.

I must warn you, as have others in this thread, that you have chosen the worst possible species of anemone to try this out on, but I do wish you the best of luck in your propagation venture. If at all possible, please do rather try to propagate one of the gbta species, they do relatively well, if all of the correct procedures are followed, and they also fare a lot better in aquariums.

16. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Any chance of a pic of this nenny?

17. Selwyn123

Hi Viper. I did quite a bit of research on the web, and there are several cases the same as mine. My nennie deflated. it then started stretching on either side of the rock it was on. It then started developing tears in its center. However, the tears are healed now and the nennie returned to its normal position. And i might not even propagate the nennie as i am getting a BTA today, i was just curious as to whether or not it can be done, wanted to share info and process with u guys as i have not seen anyone else attempt it and share info and pics

18. Selwyn123

Here's pics taken now.

light was off here due to reflection not allowing me to take a clear picture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Fair enough, however once an anemone 'decides' to split on it's own, it won't stop, it will continue the split until complete, if your anemone had tears around it's mouth and did not do a full split then it more than likely was a stress related event.

How long have you had the anemone? How long has your tank been running? What lighting is over the tank?

20. Falcon

Falcon

If you do attempt it please post the WHOLE process with pics here for us,Ive considered trying it on mine but the reported low success rate on magnifica's has scared me off doing it for the last few years lol....

Even if you not successful,still post here...i know you may get negative feedback but in the long run it will help the rest of us understand the concept of fragging or if it fails not fragging these.

Having said that,could you post pics of yours?If the thing is not in absolutely pristine health i suggest you dont even try.

21. Falcon

Falcon

i dont know,how long have you had that anemone?it doesnt look too settled to me

Recent Posts