Prolonged use of NP Pellets

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Hammerhead, 9 Feb 2012.

1. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Hi Guys,

Having searched and read through most of the posts on NP Pellets, i would like to know of success stories or failure from using NP Pelletts, reason being is in the initial stages during the hype alot of success stories were told, id like to know from long term users what their opinions are, as ive heard of softies bleaching as a result of stripping the tank of Nitrates and phosphates.

I set up my sump to utilise a DSB however i came accross the NP Pellet debate and am currently opting to go this root but would like to know if im heading on the right track. Ive read that more success was gained when using it on initial startup so i plan to do just that as the tank is not yet up and running.

As the sump was planned to house a dsb and fuge id like to know if a fuge can be kept whilst using NP Pellets? If im not using maro algea will the pods survive in the dark within some LR rubble? I will mod the sump if need be. Most guys place NP Reactor in return chamber and feed the overflow from reactor to skimmer inlet, could i restructure my sump so that i can have NP Reactor > SKimmer> Phos Reactor > Refugiam> Return. The fuge is purely for housing of pods as i would like to keep a mandarin in the future.

Total System Volume is +-720 litres. Will a Reef Octopus NW 200 rated at 900 liters be sufficient or should i supplement with another.

I will endevour to stock lightly in the initial stages and should i find Nitrate and Phosphates not reducing i could supplement with a bigger skimer later as im aware that a skimmer 3 times the volume is required for pellets. Will a much less rated skimer not prevent nitrates and phosphates from being stripped entirely?

I will be running phos remover in a Reef Oct reactor.

How many guys using pellets have less than 3 times the rated Skimmer?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reefhead

Reefhead

Answers in red

Ridwaan likes this.
  4. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response.

I will replace my NW200 for a highr rated skimmer then, any ideas on a good skimmer in the Reef Octo range that will handle 3 time the volume, the reason i say Reef Octo is that the NW200 is still in the box and im sure I could exchange with a cash difference at the LFS I purchased it from. Perhaps I can send my phos reactor in as well as its still in the box and get a bigger skimmer and only get a phos media if i need to in the future.

5. crispin

crispin

hammerhead, before i asnwer fully, can you tell me what you intend to keep. is it a mixed reef with a few softies a couple of Lps, maybe a clam or three and some fish.

or is it a sps dominated system with a low fish load and lots of internal flow.

is your focus on fish (mandarins and the like) or on sps corals?

6. Hammerhead

Hi Crispin, the tank will be softies with a few LPS and maybe clam or two once i get more accustomed so yes a mixed reef more softy dominated, i intend to have max 10 medium to small fish maybe less.

7. crispin

crispin

well to be honest for a system like that I wouldnt go with NP pellets and extreme low nutrient set up.

i would have a decent skimmer, a good refugium with macro algae or perhaps an ATS (have you read about turf scrubbers?) with some carbon in a fluid reactor and some phosphate remover in another reactor.

Lighting would be more moderate too, as would flow and the corals you like wouldnt suffer bleaching from dropping nutrients too low.

It souns to me like you have a pretty good idea on your sump deseign already but why not post a few pics of it so we can help you ste it out for long term success to achieve what you want to achieve:)

Ridwaan likes this.
  8. crispin

crispin

i think id personally put the cash towards a better skimmer and use that as a primary export of nutrient rather than using the same money on NP reactors and media

9. Hammerhead

Thanks Crispin i do have a thread on my current build,

Hammerheads New Tank Build - Marine Aquariums of South Africa herewith the link, i did manage to sort out the leak :).

I wanted to enter the hobby in the new age hence looking at alternatives. Puts a new perspective on things.

I guess il go back to the original design Skimmer > DSB/Refugiam/ATS > Return + Phos Reactor.

with all the new developments in the hobby im at wits end trying to achieve the best possible filtration method.

Ive read up on DSB's and im sure if i set it up correctly it could/will work. If in the near future if i find myself battling with GHA as a result of high nutrients and phosphates i may consider it in the next setup. Then il be better prepared.

Thanks for putting things in perspective, let me learn to walk before i run and break bones instead :whistling:

Tank Specs:
    1300 X 650 X 600 (H) 550 (WL) 10mm Glass Euro Braced, C2C with a bean animal overflow
    Sump Specs:
    1200 X 550 X 450 (H) 300 (WL) 6mm Glass and a huge DSB.

[​IMG]

the other reason i wanted to go pellets was to incl. a RO chamber within the sump as less space will be required. Il use a bucket as originall intended.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2012
  10. paul bloem

paul bloem

Guys a friend of mine has a softy and LPS dominated system and he has a NP pellet reactor and a DSB and macro algea and you must see his system.

The only thing is if you have a DSB and the NP pellets the NP pellets will cause the DSB to develop slower but it will still work.

11. paul bloem

paul bloem

Just to add; instead of using 100ml/100L use only 50ml/100L.
    The dossage is 50ml - 100ml/100L
    Also decide how much you want to add and devide in 4 and add that per week otherwise you will get an algea bloom and can cause the softies to bleach.

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

i am going to add NP pellets to my softie system but at less than half the reccomended dosage. keep an eye on my thread and lets see how it pans out.

13. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi ziyaab

Start even with less considering you have softies!

14. Reefhead

Reefhead

I have softies in my tank (in fact 90% softies) and I am running NP Pellets I dont understand why you must use such old methods like a DSB when there are better ones out there.
    I find the pellets to be a lot more hassle free (when set up properly) then any other filtration method i have tried
    Also trust me just cause you run pellets does not mean you will achieve a ultra low nutrient system, there are so many factors to this its not even funny, food, livestock and the list goes on
    If by using pellets ment that you were guaranteed a low nutrient system, trust me they would be the biggest invention of this century, relatively bigger than the combustion engine

15. crispin

crispin

HH, that looks like a lovely tank and buildt you have there, ive just skimmed through your thread on it. I would suggest thinking about space fora RO chamber and ATU, i personally think those two are essencial to a stable sump, which in turn is essencial to a stable system.

for what you are aiming at achieving a sump like i spoke about before will stand yuou in realy good stead. especially if you get a refugium going above the dsb with a strong population of pods in sump and tank. Just remeber that pod populatiosn realy need time to be well established before they get predated aopn, so give them time before you add any fish that might eat them so that later down the li9ne you can get that pair of mandarins you so want.

16. crispin

crispin

NP pellets maybe a relativley new method of carbon dosing.

DSB's might have been around longer.

But by no means would i say that the one method has over taken the other and i wouldnt suggest that DSB's have run their course as being useful biological filtration systems.

well not in my opinion at any rate

17. Achilles

Achilles

There is a very good article on NP pellets in the latest coral magazine- long and short they work well in some systems but not in all alot depends on the type of bacteria culture that they develop and often this is different in each system and how good your skimming is.

Also they must not be run with high kh or you can expect coral deaths - Kh - must not go over 9-10 when using these pellets

18. Hammerhead

thanks guys for all the responses, i think im too new to this and as i mentioned before let me start off with a system that i can manage first, i.e keep stable water parameteres. once i get the feel of it, i will consider other methods if the need arises. For now i will go the DSB route.

Crispin, i will incl an ATU with the RO reservoir being in a bucket as i want to keep my DSB as large as possible.

Thanks again for putting things in perspective.

19. crispin

crispin

my pleasure :)

20. Achilles

Achilles

Last edited: 10 Feb 2012
  21. crispin

crispin

Recent Posts